1/9/12

Will Grayson, Will Grayson - John Green & David Levithan

As a general rule of thumb, I'm not a fan of co-written books.  Of course, there are exceptions, like the fact that James Patterson is not able to fully get inside a woman's head unless the book is co-written by a female author.  The reason for this belief is that I like to read one author's style and, in a co-written book, it's hard to know where one writer's words begin and the other's ends.

I love John Green, and I've read, and loved, all of his other books so, while patiently waiting for The Fault in Our Stars to arrive at the library, I thought I'd give this book a try.

The great thing about this book is that EACH author has his own separate chapters!  The story centres around two main characters, each named Will Grayson, but they don't know each other yet.  John Green writes one Will and David Leviathan writes the other Will.

The result is a story that seamlessly flows back and forth between the two Wills, until they meet, at which point the two separate stories blend into one (but still told in alternating chapters).  The book is, in a word, beautiful.  It's a story of love and friendship, of finding love and losing love and about what it means to fall in love.

One of the most beautiful images that stuck with me, long after I'd savoured the last few words, is the idea that falling in love isn't about the landing, it's about the fall.

2 comments:

  1. Amazing review!
    I'll be sure to check this book out. ;)
    I'm not much of a fan of co-written work either, that's why I haven't already picked this book up. xD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will Grayson, Will Grayson... What a weird way to name a book. But it sounds interesting. And you are right; collaborative writing projects are seldom great. This is an exception, I s'pose.

    Great review though, and hello from a new follower! :))

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs