3/14/12

Lone Wolf - Jodi Picoult

I love Jodi Picoult.  Love, love, love her books.  Unfortunately, I didn't love Lone Wolf.  I liked it, but I didn't love it as much as I've loved some of her other books.

The story read like a typical Picoult novel, with the narrative switching between characters, and deals with a typically Picoult-heavy issue: whether or not to remove someone from life support in order to let them die.  There are a lot of parallels between this story and some of her previous stories, but enough differences to make each book unique. 

There was something different about this book though: the unconscious, comatose character had a voice.  And it was annoying.  The father, Luke, has studied and lived with wolves for most of his life, and is passionate about the lifestyle and pack mentality of these creatures.  Intermixed with the narrative of the other people in his life, Luke has chapters of his own that speak about wolves and he paints parallels between a pack of wolves and his own family.  Since he's unconscious, I felt like his narrative sections didn't really contribute to the progression of the story, but rather like they interrupted the flow of the storyline.  There were a few sections that related to his fractured family, but on the whole they were just snippets of information about wolves.  I was finally able to find the groove in the story by skipping over Luke's sections entirely, and just reading the rest of the book.

I hope that her next book is better, since I've loved almost everything of hers that I've read.

1 comments:

  1. I've never read Jodi Picoult before but this one sounds interesting to me. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs