4/12/12

I Am the Messenger - Markus Zusak

After being blown away by The Book Thief, I had extremely high hopes for this book.  While it didn't wow me the same way that The Book Thief did, Markus Zusak does have a certain way with words.  His stories remind me of a snuggly blanket that wraps itself around you, warming your heart as you flip through the pages.  He writes things like this:

Sometimes people are beautiful.
Not in looks.
Not in what they say.
Just in what they are.
The story is sweet, with odd but likable characters who really start to grow on you after a while.  I'll be honest and say that halfway through the book, I started to wonder where the story was going, as it meandered along in a seemingly aimless manner.  But Zusak is such a gifted storyteller and every word and phrase is placed just so, part of a larger whole.

If you've already read The Book Thief, don't read this book expecting a similar type of story.  I Am the Messenger is unique in its own way, but it's the type of book that will sneak up on you and crawl into your heart while you were preparing to not enjoy the story.  It's a story that I'll be thinking of for another day or two for sure, but I won't say any more for fear of accidentally spoiling something!  Just read it.  It's good.  It's really, really good.

2 comments:

  1. I fell in love with Marcus Zusak's writing in The Book Thief. There are excerpts from that book I want to memorize... I've always wanted to read more by him, so maybe I'll add this to my list :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that quote.
    Thanks for review, I need to get around to reading this one.
    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs