4/16/12

Legend - Marie Lu

I've been on quite the dystopian kick lately.  So far this year, I've read Pure, Fever, Wither, Birthmarked, Pandemonium, Cinder, Divergent (wow -- that is quite the dystopian kick!).  So, when Jaime at The Perpetual Page-Turner started RAVING about this book, I immediately put it on hold at the library.

A word to the wise: do NOT judge this book by its cover.  (Don't be afraid to admit that you do too.)  I mean, when you look at the cover, it honestly doesn't look like much.  Especially when you consider how many jaw-droppingly beautiful covers there are out there (although sometimes a pretty cover does not necessarily guarantee a good read).  But this book, despite its simple cover, IS jaw-droppingly beautiful.

After I posted my WWW last week, and noted that I was planning to read this book, someone commented that the book was based on Les Mis.  I literally yelled out "No way!" when I read the comment.  Les Mis is, without a doubt, one of my all-time favourite stories.  I love the musical (I've seen it four times) and I can be found belting out the songs in my car.  I haven't yet read the original, but it is on my TBR list.  When I picked the book up from the library, I was overjoyed to read the author's bio and see that she had been inspired by the story, but wondered what it would be like if it was set in a modern era.

With such extremely high expectations, I embarked on the adventure that is Legend.  Marie Lu did not disappoint with her modern, dystopian interpretation of Les Mis.  The world that she's created is totally believable, and my heart ached along with the characters during their struggles.  One of the things that I loved the most about this book is that there is no love triangle.  There is a love story, but this is the first book that I've read in a while that doesn't have a love triangle and, to be perfectly honest, I was getting a little tired of the "But I love them both -- how will I choose?"  I also found myself slowing down towards the end of the book (which is quite rare for me, as I usually read full steam ahead as I'm nearing the end), savouring every word and feeling sadder as I drew closer to the last page, mainly because I'm going to have so long to wait until the next part of the story!  I returned my copy to the library, but I'll be purchasing a copy for myself and will be waiting in line on the release date for part two for sure!!  Please, can it be soon?!?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs