4/6/12

Ten Things We Did (and Probably Shouldn't Have) - Sarah Mlynowski

This book can be concisely summed up in one sentence from the GoodReads summary: 2 girls + 3 guys + 1 house – parents = 10 things April and her friends did that they (definitely, maybe, probably) shouldn't have. 

After having recently read several heavier books (especially Pure and Shine), this book was a breath of fresh air.  It felt good to shake off the heavier topics and just laugh out loud over the silly antics of a teenage girl.  I originally added this book to my TBR list after I read Jamie @ The Perpetual Page Turner's post about bookish theme songs.  Seriously, was that not the best Top Ten Tuesday of all time?  She said that the theme song for this book should be Young Blood by the Naked and Famous.  I love that song and crank it in my car with the sunroof open (or I did last summer -- it's still a little too chilly for sunroofs right now).  I wanted to read a book that would accompany that soundtrack, so I put it on hold at the library.

And the story PERFECTLY matches that song.  It's about the impulsiveness of teenagers, young love, parental expectations, making mistakes, learning to be independent, friendship and so much more.  This is the first of  Mlynowski's books that I've read, but I will definitely be hunting down the rest of her work.  I followed her on Twitter too -- and was pleasantly surprised to learn that she's Canadian too!  There's nothing better than an excellent Canadian writer, eh?

2 comments:

  1. This book sounds so cute! I love a story that I can relate to, and one that makes me laugh and leaves me smiling when I'm finished. This definitely seems like one of those books. Great review, and thanks for sharing!! =D

    -Shanon @ Escaping With Fiction

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought that I'd love this book, but it turned out to be just okay for me. Wasn't bad, but wasn't quite what I expected, either.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs