5/20/12

Shatter Me - Tahereh Mafi

I had a love/hate relationship with this book ... unsure if I wanted to keep reading or hurl the book across the room.  But something in the book kept luring me back in and, once I passed the halfway mark of the book, I couldn't put it down and I'm so glad that I finished it.  Tahareh Mafi is an extremely talented writer and tells a wickedly wonderful story.

But let me back up a bit.  I was immediately drawn into Juliette's world, fascinated by the way that she saw herself and her surroundings.  Enter Adam on scene, and the book started to drive me crazy.  I just wanted to reach into the story, grab Juliette by the shoulders (although, in hindsight, that may be a little too dangerous) and tell her to get a hold of herself.  At the same time, Tahereh's writing is so beautiful, that I kept reading.  But then the over-exaggerations of the story started to annoy me a little (i.e. a million years passed before he spoke).  But then I remembered that Juliette is only seventeen and I admitted to myself that I used to write like that when I was a teenager.  Every emotion is felt so profoundly at that age.  I can recall writing in my journal that my heart broke a little more each day because the boy that I yearned for didn't even know I existed.  Once I realized this, I was able to enjoy the remainder of the book.  In fact, I applaud Tahereh for being able to so perfectly capture the voice of a teenager, without sounding like an adult who vaguely remembers what it's like to be a teen.

So, I flip flopped back and forth between loving and not loving the book, but finally settled on enjoying it.  The last half of the book positively flew by and I think I read the final 100 pages this morning, in one sitting, with my morning coffee.  I'm very excited to see what Unravel Me, book 2 in this trilogy, will entail.  And I also feel disappointed that I missed my chance to meet Tahereh Mafi when she was at Chapters in March.  Please come back to BC!!!!!

7 comments:

  1. Did you hear that she's releasing a book in November from Warner's perspective? It's a short e-book. THEN Unravel Me comes out in February! More from her! YIPPIE!

    I thought this book was incredibly intriguing simply because of how it was written. I loved it. LOVED IT. So curious to see how the story continues though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yet another reasons for me to consider an e-reader then, hey? It was funny because I totally thought it was a standalone until she tweeted something about writing about Warner. I had no idea the story was going to continue, but I'm interested to see how it plays out!

      Delete
  2. Ah! I share some of your observations :P I liked the exaggerations/hyperboles to a point, but only after I established in my mind that Juliet is slightly crazy—after being locked up and all. I thought the story had potential, but the romance drove me crazy. I shall be reading the next book, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! That's exactly what I thought to myself near the beginning of the book. I mean, she lived in solitary confinement for the better part of a year ... what person WOULDN'T be slightly nutty after that?!?

      Delete
  3. Another thing I noticed was that she is Rogue from X-Men!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only seen the first X-Men movie ... and I can't remember the characters very well. I'll have to watch the newer ones and compare!

      Delete
  4. I'm quite interested by this book even if it wasn't a "coup de coeur" for you. (I don't know the english expression :s) The french title will be "Ne me touche pas".

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs