5/31/12

TGIF [2] - June 1


Happy Friday everyone!  It's been a slightly nutty week in my world, and I am totally looking forward to a relaxing weekend ahead -- time to put my feet up and get some reading done!

TGIF is hosted, as always, by Greads.  This week's theme is Issue Books: Which books have you found to be very rewarding when it comes to tackling tougher issues?

I love issue books.  Some of my favourite books have been ones that dealt with very heavy issues.  I just finished The Mockingbirds, which dealt with date rape, and will have a review up this week.  Laurie Halse Anderson's Speak, which was also about rape, was extremely powerful.  Actually, she's written several other heavy books, Catalyst and Wintergirls immediately jump to mind -- both books were phenomenal.  In adult literature, I loved Janet Fitch's White Oleander (foster family experiences), Barbara Kingsolver's The Poisonwood Bible (missionary work in Africa) and Arundhati Roy's The God of Small Things (the caste system in India).  I could go on and on, but I'll leave it at that. 

Have you read a great issue book?  If so, please leave it in the comments!  I love book recommendations (although my TBR list might beg to differ).  And TGIF everyone!  Hope that you've all got a fun (and reading filled) weekend planned!

15 comments:

  1. I love both White Oleander and The Poisonwood Bible. Living Dead Girl might be a book I'd add to my own list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read Living Dead Girl yet, but it sounds like a book that I would enjoy.

      Delete
  2. Great picks! I have actually had Wintergirls on my TBR for awhile. I need to get on that and stop fooling around...

    Thanks for stopping by my blog!
    New follower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following back Nikki! Laurie Halse Anderson is AMAZING.

      Delete
  3. Great choices, though there are some that I need to look up to see what their about.

    New follower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and following!

      Delete
  4. I haven't read anything from the author you mentioned, but now I'll have to! I don't read many books that tackle tough issues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurie Halse Anderson's also written a great historical fiction novel called Chains -- that one was great too!

      Delete
  5. Speak is also on my list. Anderson has written some important books. And I loved Poisonwood Bible... good one -- I wouldn't have thought of that.

    My TGIF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read Poisonwood Bible THREE times. And it gets better with every read!

      Delete
  6. I thought Speak was great, although it's been years now since I read it. I picked up a different Laurie Halse Anderson book secondhand this past weekend, Twisted, so I'll be interested to see what that's like.

    Look the new design by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. *Or, you know, "love" the new design. :/ Oops!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha -- thanks! I hope that you like Twisted -- I think I've enjoyed every one of her books so far.

      Delete
  8. I haven't read Catalyst or Wintergirls, but I did like Speak so I'll have to check them out.

    Oh, and regarding If I Stay...you aren't missing much with the second book. It was okay, but nothing like the first!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've borrowed the second book from the library twice, but ended up returning it unread because I was too busy reading other books. Perhaps it was a sign?!?

      Delete

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs