5/7/12

Top Ten Favourite Bookish Quotes

This week's Top Ten Tuesday, brought to you by The Broke and the Bookish is SO HARD.  I have a notebook that I use to jot down quotes that tug at my heartstrings and it's just full of quotable bookish goodness.  Unfortunately, I haven't been very diligent on writing down quotes lately, so most of these are from books that I read quite a while ago.  Lately it seems that I've intended write down some of the great quotes, but I just get caught up in the story and forget.

So, in no particular order, here are some of the quotes that made it into my notebook...

And we loved with a love that was more than a love.
~ Edgar Allan Poe, "Annabel Lee"

"Think about the word destroy," the man said.  "Do you know what it is?  De-story. Destroy. Destory.  You see.  And restore.  That's re-story.  Do you know that only two things have been proven to help survivors of the Holocaust?  Massage is one.  Telling their story is another.  Being touched and touching.  Telling your story is touching.  It sets you free."
~ Francesca Lia Block, Baby Be-Bop

People just wanted to be loved.  That was the thing about words, they were clear and specific -- chair, eye, stone -- but when you talked about feelings, words were too stiff, they were this and not that, they couldn't include all the meanings.  In defining, they always left something out.
Janet Fitch, White Oleander

Stories are light.
~ Gregor in the Jailer in Kate di Camillo's Tale of Despereaux

I wanted to forget the past, but it refused to forget me; it waited for sleep, then it cornered me.
~ Margaret Atwood, Lady Oracle


A collective memory has risen from the land and settled over the Triangle like a cumulus cloud.  Memory breeds memory, draws it out of new arrivals, takes it in.  The soil so rich, water so abundant, the bounty so green; it has absorbed us many times over, then breathed everything out again, so that the very air is made of memory.  Memory falls in the rain.  You drink memory.  In winter you make snow angels out of memory.
~ Ann-Marie MacDonald, The Way the Crow Flies

As he read, I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once.
~ John Green, The Fault in Our Stars

To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your Hand
And Eternity in an hour.
~ William Blake

My Heart is Broken.
My mouth closed on the words, and then I swallowed.
~ Carol Shields, Unless

This above all: to thine own self be true,
And it must follow, as the night the day,
Thou canst not then be false to any man.
~ Polonius, in William Shakespeare's Hamlet

A little bit of a mixture of everything -- I've had this quote book on the go since I was in university (hence the poem quotes!)  Really must get back into jotting down those quotes that make my heart sing.  Please leave me a link to your list in the comments and I'll stop by to visit!!

15 comments:

  1. Wow, you have sososo many good quotes on here! I especially liked the Fault In Our Stars one, as well as the Edgar Allen Poe one. Quotes are amazing :).

    Thanks for stopping by.

    Michelle
    The Bookish Poodle

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Francesca Lia Block one is amazing. Have you read her book of poetry, "How to (un)cage a girl"? There's a tonne of quoteable lines in that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for the John Green quotable! Gosh. The Fault in Our Stars was such a pleasure to read. I want to read it again.

    Great post!

    Thanks for visiting my blog...

    ReplyDelete
  4. So much goodness!! But I have to say, I gravitated toward Annabel Lee!! *Swoon* My absolute favorite poem ever!

    Stop by and see my Top Ten / Teaser Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic list! I love the Annabel Lee quote too.
    Angela @ AJ Arndt Books

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eeeppp!!! Love the one you pick from TFiOS. Awesome list! :D

    Drop by my Top 10?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Annabel Lee has always been one of my favorite poems by Poe. Especially that line. Great choices!
    My Top Ten Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Margaret Atwood, and I really like the quote you included on your list. I have never come across the Carol Shields quote, but it might be my favourite one here! Great list.

    ReplyDelete
  9. White Oleander was such a powerful book! Fantastic selection of quotes!

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love The Fault in Our Stars! I wish I had included that one on my list. great quotes

    http://confessionsofacommonreader.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Some AMAZING ones on here. But seriously, I keep seeing TFIOS on everyone's list and it makes me even more aware of how I need to bump that up the list!

    ReplyDelete
  12. aww, these quotes are so amazing! I haven't read most of the books, but now I might have to go hunt them down!

    Here's my Top Ten Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great list of quotes!! Love the TFiOS and Hamlet ones!

    Thanks for stopping by :)

    Michele | Top 10

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great quotes! Loved the one from Hamlet, it's so true.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs