6/15/12

TGIF [4] - June 15


Happy Friday Everyone!

TGIF is hosted, as always, by Greads. Most Valuable Book: From your personal collection of books, which ones hold the most value to you - is it signed by the author? or maybe it's your favourite story of all time?

Last week, I wrote about Falcor (thanks Jenny for reminding me of his name!) in The Neverending Story, and this week I have to choose the same book.  It's hard to find the words to describe how much this book means to me.  I first read it the summer after Grade 5, when I'd had a really tough year at school with a bully in my class.  I desperately wanted a book like The Neverending Story -- wouldn't that be any bullied kid's dream?  Instead, I lived vicariously through Bastian's adventures, dreading the moment when I'd reach the last page.

Grade 6 was better (a respite before the horror that was Grade 7) and I chose this book for a book report for English class.  My teacher LOVED my report and gave me an excellent grade.  Mme. Dennison goes down in history as one of the best teachers I ever had, since she not only encouraged my love of reading but also my passion for writing.  Plus, I had a BLAST recreating the lettering from the cover, and these swoopy bubble letters made an appearance on many, many more school projects over the years.

My copy was given to me by a neighbour who lived down the street.  It was worn when I received it, and big chunks of the pages are falling out.  I've contemplated purchasing a new copy, and retiring my old one, but I just can't bring myself to do it.  I'd also like to reread this one in the future, but I'm not sure that my old copy can handle one more read!

What about you?  What's the most valuable book in your collection?  Leave me a link to your post and I'll stop by to visit!  And Happy Friday!

2 comments:

  1. Bullying makes me so angry. I once punched a bully to get her to stop physically hurting a friend of mine (& I am SO not a violent person). I'm sorry you had to go through that but I'm glad that there was an awesome book to help you through it somewhat. Though I do know (from experience) that no book can quite take away the fear & frustration of being bullied. :(

    Probably the most valuable book in my collection is my huge coffee table hardcover book of Lauren Conrad's Style. It was given to me & it's expensive but it's only valuable monetarily.

    The book I place the most value in (as in I've read it until it's about to fall apart) is my copy of The Forbidden Game trilogy by LJ Smith. I wish everyone would read this series even if it IS from the 90s... If The Vampire Diaries & The Secret Circle are good enough to read now, why not The Forbidden Game? Same author! They had just better not EVER make a television show out of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I share your sentiments about bullying for sure. And, although I am probably the most un-violent person on the face of the earth, good for you for punching that bully!! Although it's not an experience I would want my own kids to go through, it's definitely made me into who I am today.

    I haven't read The Forbidden Game trilogy -- I read the first Vampire Diaries book, and wasn't a huge fan, and started watching the Secret Circle show, but didn't like that. I'll definitely have to check it out, since I love your recommendations =)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs