6/22/12

TGIF [5] - June 22


Happy Friday Everyone! I don't know about you guys, but I am SO ready for the weekend this week -- it's been a bit of a crappy work week, full of drama that didn't need to be part of my work day.

TGIF is hosted, as always, by Greads.  This week's topic is: Authors Are Our Celebrities: Have you ever contacted an author you admired? How did that experience go?  If not, which author would you love to have a chat with?

Here's a good story for you.  When I was in Grade 2, Julie Lawson came to my elementary school to talk about being a writer, and to share her newest book, The Sand Sifter.  My mom happened to be volunteering in the library that day, so she bought me a copy of the book and Julie signed it for me.

Years later, when I was taking a journalism class in university, we had an assignment to interview "someone who is outstanding in his or her field."  I thought and thought about this assignment, and then wondered if, somehow, I would be able to interview a local writer.  I went online and searched for authors, and stumbled across an e-mail address for Julie Lawson.  I sent her an e-mail, but wasn't sure that I'd hear back from her since, by then, she was a very successful author (her most successful novel is probably White Jade Tiger, which won the BC Book Prize, and takes place in my hometown of Victoria, BC and is probably read in every elementary school in BC).

But then, SHE RESPONDED.  And invited me to HER HOUSE FOR TEA.  Seriously.  I sat with her for about two hours, talking about everything from teaching to writing to publishing and everything in between.  She was so amazing and down to earth.  I even brought my copy of The Sand Sifter to show her, and she was amazed at how legible her autograph had been in her earliest days of writing!

2 comments:

  1. That's awesome. I would love for that to happen to me one day! Especially if it were someone as great as Rusty Fischer or LJ Smith. You live a charmed life, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, thanks! If you can dream it, it can happen, mon amie! =)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs