6/4/12

Top Ten Bookish Pet Peeves

This week's Top Ten Tuesday, hosted as always by The Broke and the Bookish, is a rewind TTT -- choose any of their past topics!  Since I'm a relative newbie to the TTT world, there are SO MANY great topics that I have yet to do...

I'm generally a very positive person, so it's a little out of character for me to rant about pet peeves.  Take this list with a grain of salt -- many of my favourite books may have had some of these issues, so it doesn't necessary mean that I'll dislike any book that happens to have one of these problems.  These are just things that can annoy me in a book.

1. A series that goes on and on and on and on...  You know the ones.  The series that probably started as a standalone, but it did well so the publisher signed the writer on for a trilogy.  Then the trilogy did well, so the publisher asked the writer to just keep on writing.  But the series should have ended LONG before it did.  Harry Potter is the only series that I can name that was good and long.  Most other series should cap out at three books (in my opinion, a trilogy is the perfect length).

2. Love triangles.  This is the pet peeve that I was thinking of when I wrote my "grain of salt" intro.  Love triangles can be done really well, and add to a storyline.  Sometimes the love triangle is the driving force in a book and is what makes it so loveable.  But ever since the Edward/Bella/Jacob love triangle, it seems that a lot of books throw in a love triangle just because the writer THINKS that a love triangle is a necessary element for a successful YA novel, but there are so many great YA novels that don't have a love triangle.  Not every girl needs two men fighting for her love.

3. Typos / grammatical errors.  I know that publishers are only human.  Sometimes small details can slip through the cracks.  My small forays into the self-publishing world (note: I am no expert, and have only read a small number) left me so disappointed, since it just seemed like no one even reread the book before it hit the printers.  If a writer is going to pour his or her heart and soul into a book, it should be perfect when it hits the presses -- so that the fans can enjoy it as well!

4. Beautiful covers with disappointing stories.  You know the book.  You picked it up because the cover was absolutely jaw-droppingly beautiful, and then the story let you down.  Personally, I'd rather have a cover that didn't wow me at first, and then be amazed by the gem of a story inside.

5. Rated books on Goodreads that aren't even written yet.  I understand that some lucky bloggers will read ARCs and review the books before they hit the shelves for the rest of us.  But rating a book 5 stars before the author has even finished writing it yet?  Come on.

6. Rating books 1 star on Goodreads because you won't read it. While I totally understand that not every book is for everyone, what is the point of rating a book that you have no desire to read?  Seriously.

7. YA writers that try too hard to be teens.  Granted, my own teen years are far behind me, but there are some writers (I'm thinking specifically of the House of Night series) that just seem to try to hard with the teen dialogue.  The Aphrodite / Zoey banter back and forth just gets on my nerves after a while.  I don't recall ever talking like that.  Excessive use of the word "like" for sure, but teen dialogue needs to be REAL.

8. Being afraid to not like a book. Lea @ LC's Adventures in Libraryland wrote a brilliant post about the negative review, and the fear behind giving out the dreaded one star rating.  I find it hard to trust a reviewer when they consistently post five star reviews.  I wonder to myself how they can only choose books that they are guaranteed to like.  And is that even possible?  I mean, I've read books recommended by other bloggers whose opinions I totally trust, only to find that it just really wasn't for me.  And that's okay.  So, why not just say what you REALLY think and, if you didn't love it as much as you hoped that you would, just admit it?

9. When a book just doesn't live up the hype.  I love hearing a bit about a book before I read it (as long as it's spoiler free).  But when I see a book that's been raved about all over the place, but it falls flat for me, it's so disappointing.  Conversely, when a book lives up to the hype (like Divergent), there's nothing more wonderful.

10. Smelly books.  I was struggling to come up with a tenth item for this list, until I looked over my bookshelves.  While I love browsing the shelves of a used bookstore (who doesn't love being able to buy MORE books for less money?!?), I'm always very particular about not buying a book that has a bad smell.  If it's lived the majority of its life in a musty basement, it won't come home with me.  Hubby owns enough smelly books for the two of us.  On the flip side, I adore books that have a fresh, clean and new smell -- sometimes I just stick my nose into the book and breathe deeply.

Thanks for stopping by my blog and reading my (rather lengthy!) post!  I didn't mean for it to end up this long but, I suppose, that's how ranting words.  Please feel free to leave me a link to your post and I'll stop by!

16 comments:

  1. I completely agree with #4 &#5! Those are my biggest pet peeves too! Great list! And I thought your #10 was hilarious lol I complain about smelly pages to my boyfriend all the time and he just thinks all books smell the same smh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nikki! My hubby does appreciate the smell of new books, but he's just not as picky when it comes to buying the old, musty books =P

      Delete
  2. Amen to all of these... except for the smelly books one (haha). Old smelly books reminds me of old bookstores and my grandmother's smelly damp basement! I guess I'm strange!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think everyone has some odd smell that they don't mind, so you're not strange =) And I do love the smell of used bookstores!

      Delete
  3. I complete agree with #1,2,4,and 8. Great post, I enjoyed reading it! I have to agree with the person above, I like the smell of old books haha (only exception is if it smells like old food, yuck!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eww... that's like coming across some yucky food smudge in a library book! Yuck, yuck, yuck!

      Delete
  4. Typos are a huge pet peeve of mine. I work for an academic journal, and I received a book from a publisher a couple of weeks ago that was rife with typos, which just made me wonder what the editor had been doing to miss all of them.

    I find love triangles annoying too, if done for the sake of it, or if they dominate the story to the detriment of anything else. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I did this one, it was one of my most-commented and most-viewed posts. You make a lot of good points with your pet peeves, and I find myself definitely agreeing with most of them. If you're not going to read a book, then you definitely should not rate a book. Better to not rate it at all than to judge a book without foundation for your judgement.

    I will say on #8, if I'm not enjoying a book at all, I'm less likely to finish it. And since I don't rate books I don't finish, there's reason behind my ratings being on the higher end of the rating board. But you are right in trusting your gut and giving an honest opinion. Just because you rate a book 3-stars doesn't mean you didn't like it, and you just have to keep that in mind. :)

    Great list, and thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You raised a good point on ratings appearing higher because the unfinished books aren't rated. I hadn't considered that before! I was thinking of a couple of blogs that I follow where a 5-star review is posted every two days; I would imagine that there wouldn't be much room in there for books that are DNFed. But to each her own!

      And I totally agree -- 3 stars doesn't mean that you didn't like a book (in fact, I think 3 stars on Goodreads is "I liked it"). It takes a special book to bump me to 4 stars, and an extraordinary book to push me to 5 stars.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. LOVE your list! I agree with ALL of these! If a series goes on too long I usually stop reading or I have to start making myself read them out of some obligation to finish the series. I hate triangles for the most part but I do come across a well done one every once in awhile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lori! I agree, a well done love triangle is excellent, but not every book needs one.

      Delete
  7. I really hate love triangles that feel forced as well and I don't like overhyped books as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment! There is nothing worse that a book that just doesn't live up to the hype -- it's the ultimate disappointment...

      Delete
  8. 3$! of Poseidon! I loved the cover, but then...

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs