6/11/12

Top Ten Books I'd Recommend As Good Beach Reads

Happy Tuesday Everyone!  It's time for another great Top Ten Tuesday hosted, as always, by the wonderful people over at The Broke and the Bookish.

I'm approaching this week's topic with a tiny bit of hesitation.  I LOVE great beach reads and I just know that I'm going to find tons of great books on every else's lists.  My TBR list is already out of control, and this week's TTT is going to make it even worse.  I just know it.

Yet, that is one of the things that I love about reading -- no matter how many amazing books that I read, there are always going to be an even greater number of amazing books out there that I have yet to discover.  So, without further ado, here are my top ten books that I would recommend as good beach reads.

1. Amy & Roger's Epic Detour - Morgan Matson
Just reviewed this book last week (see my review here) and I LOVED it.  My only complaint was that the book would have been even MORE amazing if I'd read it on a beach.  Or, at the very least, when the sun was shining.

2. The Shadow of the Wind - Carlos Ruiz Zafon
This book might not seem like the typical summer beach read, but I took it on my honeymoon last summer, and devoured most of it on a beach chair along the Adriatic.  So, in my mind, it's a beach read.

3. Anything by Sarah Dessen
I don't think I've ever done a Top Ten Tuesday post where I haven't crammed the complete works of one author into one slot on my list.  Sarah Dessen is the ultimate beach read author.  Each of her books takes place over the course of a summer, and her heroines will take you on one incredible journey after another.  (I read Along for the Ride on my honeymoon last year too!)

4. The Eyes of the Dragon - Stephen King
I read this book the summer that my husband (then boyfriend) and I first moved in together.  He recommended it to me and I devoured the whole thing in a couple of sunny afternoons on our front porch, while taking breaks from unpacking.  Thinking of this book immediately brings back memories of sitting in the sunshine, flipping page after page.

5. Before I Fall - Lauren Oliver
What would a top ten list be without a Lauren Oliver book?  Honestly, I'm a little surprised that I made it to #5 before adding one.  This is the first book of hers that I read, and I spent hours curled up on a deck chair on my patio, enjoying some rare spring sunshine.

6. City of Bones - Cassandra Clare
I took this book on a road trip to Alberta two years ago, and I remember getting so into the story that I was tilting the page so that the light from the campfire would shine on the page, and I could keep reading just a little longer.  I finished the rest of the book at my mother-in-law's house, and we had to head straight out to a bookstore so that I could pick up book two for the rest of our trip.

7. White Oleander - Janet Fitch
I read this book towards the end of Grade 12, when we had a heat wave in May.  My English teacher was one of the worst that I'd ever had, and I started skipping her class (which, if you knew me in high school, was a VERY unusual thing for me to do).  Instead, I'd go lay out on the grass in the sunshine with this book and, when I reached the end of the book, I immediately flipped back to page one and started reading it a second time.

8. Harry Potter series - J.K. Rowling
I read books 1-4 in the fall of 2002, and then anxiously awaited the July release date of each successive book.  I read book 5 while working at a summer camp in upstate New York, worked at the midnight launch of book 6 in July 2005 and waited in line at midnight in July 2007.  Summer = Harry Potter.

9. The Carrie Diaries / Summer in the City - Candace Bushnell
I read both of these books last summer / early fall.  I LOVED Sex & the City, but I hadn't read the books.  Both of these books are about Carrie before the Sex & the City show began, prior to her decision to move to New York City.  I loved her voice, her antics and everything about the books.  They're the perfect lighthearted summer read, but with a great story behind them.  Plus, it's super cool to meet each of the Sex & the City characters for the first time!

10. The Golden Compass - Philip Pullman
I feel that I could add many more books to this list, but I'll have to end with this one.  I read this book at the lake a few summers ago, and got one of the WORST sunburns of my entire life because I was so enthralled with the story that I forgot to apply more sunscreen.  Whoops -- yet, truly the sign of a good book!

Thanks for reading my list!  I swear, I always start these posts with the intention to keep them short, but the writing wanders away on its own.  What are YOUR favourite beach reads?  Leave me a link to your post and I'll stop by to visit!

17 comments:

  1. Great list! Sounds like my sort of books (: I totally regret not buying Amy & Roger's Epic Detour for $5 at my book store cause I've heard so much good things about it now. I hadn't heard of it at the time unfortunately "/ I'll definitely be picking it up for the beach this summer though :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I borrowed a copy from the library, but it's definitely a book that I'd like to own as part of my personal library! And I'd highly, highly recommend it too!

      Delete
  2. There are so many books on this list I want to read - like Before I Fall. Awesome list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! And you MUST read Before I Fall soon -- it is one of my all-time favourite books.

      Delete
  3. I had to laugh when I read your description of tilting the book to catch the light so you could continue reading. Is that familiar or what? Great list with some really good books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that what any reader does as the reading light fades? =) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. A beach filled with Harry Potter from start to finish would be pretty cool... I re-read them all a couple of years ago, but maybe next year I will go round them again! And definitely agree with Amy & Roger, such a great beach (or anytime) read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is SUCH a great summer plan: reading Harry Potter from beginning to end. Must do that one day, as I've only ever re-read parts of the series leading up to the release of the next book.

      Delete
  5. OMG... Eyes of the Dragon!!! Supposedly the SyFy network is making that into a miniseries: I am PRAYING they don't mess it up!

    GREAT LIST!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A miniseries? Oooh...that sounds interesting! I agree though, I hope that they don't mess it up!

      Delete
  6. Fantastic list! I feel ya on the out of control TBR list. This week's Top Ten is sending mine over the edge, that's for sure. New follower via GFC :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so hard NOT to add all the amazing books to my TBR list ... but at least I don't have to worry about running out of awesome books to read! Thanks for following!

      Delete
  7. White Oleander - I'd nearly forgotten that book! Until you mentioned it, and ALL OF THE FEELINGS came back to me. Man, that was a powerful book.

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, hey? I think I need to re-read that one again.

      Delete
  8. I love White Oleander as welll and I understand the feeling of wanting to read it again after you finish it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truly one of my favourite books of all time ... and it might just be time to re-read it again!

      Delete
  9. City of Bones and The Golden Compass are sitting on my shelves waiting for me. Maybe I'll read them this summer.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs