7/15/12

City of Lost Souls - Cassandra Clare

I'd seen mixed reviews of this book on Goodreads, so I honestly wasn't sure what to expect when I opened the book and started to read.  Sometimes, I think that no expectations are the best way to go -- since you can't have your high expectations tarnished.

First of all, my criticisms of the book.  In a series, the author usually has to do a fairly substantial re-cap of the previous events of the series will make sense, but this book didn't do a very good job of recapping past events.  I read City of Fallen Angels over two years ago and have very little recollection of what actually happened in the book (like I do with every book -- it's like book amnesia or something).  Although I remember the characters, I did struggle with trying to piece together their previous adventures in order to make sense of the current story, which is something that Cassandra Clare could have woven into the story to make it easier for the reader to follow along.

The second thing that irked me was the pacing of the book.  There were certain parts where I found myself unable to tear my eyes from the page, determined to just read one more chapter before I head off to bed.  Then, a few pages later, the pace would completely slow down and I'd have to force myself to read until the end of the chapter (I have a hard time putting a bookmark in and walking away mid-chapter).  I think that the book would have been much better if the pacing had remained consistent throughout the book -- not necessarily breakneck speed throughout, but at least keeping the reader's interest throughout the slower parts of the storyline.

With that being said, I still enjoyed the book immensely.  I've invested so much time and energy (not to mention thousands of pages) in these characters' lives and stories that I know that, no matter what the reviews are, I'll still end up enjoying the book.  Although I still think that she needs to write a spin-off book about Magnus -- his character is SO interesting, and I just want to know more!  I also loved how much more developed Simon was in this book, and I was happy with his happy ending.  Just one more installment to go in 2014 (I think?) -- I'm looking forward to seeing how this whole epic storyline comes to a conclusion.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to learn that you've enjoyed reading City of Lost Souls! I bought the book on its release date but I still haven't read it yet. I love your review!! It's helpful to know that the pacing may feel somewhat inconsistent throughout the book. Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the compliment Henrietta! I struggled with this review a bit, since I love the series so much, but still wanted to point out the pitfalls in this one. I hope that you like it and I look forward to reading your review when you're done!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs