7/27/12

TGIF [10] - July 27


Happy Friday Everyone!

TGIF is hosted, as always, by Greads. This week's question is: Christmas in July: If Santa were to come down your chimney in the middle of summer, which books would you want him to leave for you under the tree?

There is nothing better than planning a Christmas book wish list.  My husband and I always exchange books at Christmas -- since we know that's what we both love, and it's also a tribute to where we met, and got engaged (not on the same day!): in the aisles of a bookstore.  Someday I will post the whole story, but here's the short version: boy walks into bookstore, looking for a book about cats.  Girl is working in the children's section of same bookstore, and is immediately charmed by boy.  Boy returns to bookstore repeatedly for the next six months, to look for another book, pick up a magazine, and to see if the girl is working.  Finally, he works up the nerve to ask her out for coffee ... and they live happily ever after!

The majority of the books on my wishlist are ones that haven't been published yet (such as Lauren Oliver's upcoming releases, one middle grade and one adult novel, or J.K. Rowling's adult novel -- so excited for that one!)  Although I can dream that Santa would someone obtain me a copy of these yet unpublished books, I'll be a little more realistic, and go with a book that will be appearing in my mailbox in August.  One of my bestest friends in the whole wide world is the editor of this collection and this has been a labour of love for her over the past few years.  I am SO excited to own a copy of this book and I imagine that it's going to be a beautiful addition to my coffee table, a book to sit and savour with a steaming mug of something yummy.  Oh, the title you ask?  It's called Moments that Speak: Stories and Images of Connectedness.  Here's the summary for the book:


What are the moments that connect us?
What are the moments that change us?

This book celebrates personal stories and images of transformative connection gathered from around the world. Some speak to unexpected connections between people that cross boundaries of social division and crisis. Others speak to profound personal experiences of connection with the natural or spiritual world. Every moment is unique, and all speak to a message of hope: the power of a single moment of connection to affect great change at a time in which great change—at every level—is needed.

The book features contributions by Wangari Maathai, David Suzuki, Mary Evelyn Tucker, and Leonardo Boff, as well as many other moving stories and images of connection contributed by people all over the world.


Indulge me a in one final moment of shamelessly plugging my friend's accomplishments: you can purchase a copy via Stylus Publishers here.

4 comments:

  1. How sweet that you met in a bookstore and share the love of reading!

    Colletta

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE that you guys met in a bookstore and got engaged there! I also got engaged (last April!) in a bookstore ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG! That's so awesome! We're, like, secretly long-lost BFFs =) When are you getting married? We also had a book-themed wedding (since we're both HUGE readers) and I keep meaning to post pics up here.

      Delete

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs