7/16/12

Top Ten Books For People Who Like Harry Potter

It's Tuesday, and time for another wonderful Top Ten Tuesday bookish list -- hosted, as always, by the wonderful people over at The Broke and the Bookish.  This week's theme is picking a book, then recommending ten similar books for people who loved that first book.  I used to work in a bookstore, and one of the most common questions that I'd hear was, "My son/daughter/niece/etc LOVED Harry Potter -- can you recommend that he/she will love just as much?"  And while it's almost impossible to find a book that can equal the spectacular wonder of the world of Harry Potter (seriously, how could you ever top it?), here are some books that I thought were equally wonderful reads ... on their own merits.

1. The Neverending Story - Michael Ende
This book is one of my top favourites of all time, and words can scarcely express how much I love this story.  It really has it all: from adventure, to friendship and everything in between.

2. The Golden Compass - Philip Pullman
The entire His Dark Materials series is wonderful, but this book specifically stands out because I don't think I was fully prepared for just how wonderful it would really be until I dove into the story.  I loved every moment of the book, and even got one of the worst sunburns of my life while reading this on the beach -- completely forgot to put on more sunscreen while I was lost in Lyra's world!

3. Inkheart - Cornelia Funke
This book is long, and many have critiqued it for going on and on and on when it could have been shorter.  Personally, if I'm lost in a book, then I'm perfectly content if it just keeps going -- the last Harry Potter book could have been 2,000 pages and I still would've thought it was too short!

4. The Eyes of the Dragon - Stephen King
You may see this one on the list and think Harry Potter and Stephen King, no way!  But hear me out.  King wrote this book for his eleven year old daughter because he asked her if she'd read any of his writing and she told him no because his books were too scary.  So he asked her what type of book she likes best.  Her response?  A story with dragons and princes and castles.  And Eyes of the Dragon was born.

5. Silverwing - Kenneth Oppel
This series is gold.  Pure gold.  I had no idea that a bat could be so human-like, but I found myself forgetting that the characters were bats because they had such amazing lives and personalities.

6.  Magyk - Angie Sage
I haven't read the rest of this series yet, but I really enjoyed the first book.  I had that same youthful fantasy feel that the first Harry Potter book did, but also a sense of the book being a part of a larger story that had yet to unfold.

7. A Spell for Chameleon - Piers Anthony
This book is the first in the Xanth series, which I devoured long before Harry Potter was even published.  This was one of my first forays into the genre of fantasy, and adult literature actually, and I loved every minute of the series.

8. The Wonderful Wizard of Oz - L. Frank Baum
Since we're on the topic of childhood favourites, this one was definitely on the top of my list.  I must have read each book in the series at least five times, and I loved them all (well, except the Wheelies; they still scare me, even today).

9. City of Bones - Cassandra Clare
I'm five books into the six part series and wishing that it would never end.  That's like Harry Potter, right?  Plus, I love the magic (Magnus!) and every other thing about the Shadowhunter world.

10. The Tale of Despereaux - Kate di Camillo
I struggled with which book to choose as the final book on this list, until I looked over at my bookshelf and saw this one.  This book is one of my all-time favourites and I have read it in one sitting, and then read and reread it over and over again.  If you haven't yet read this book, you must.

Well, there you have it -- my top ten books for people who like Harry Potter.  Thoughts? Comments?  Suggestions of other books that I might like?  Leave a comment below -- and include a link to your post and I'll stop by and visit!

12 comments:

  1. I'd definitely agree with the Philip Pullman books, I found them very absorbing when I read them. I haven't read any of the others on this list, but I do love Harry Potter, so I will bear them in mind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also really liked his other books (sort of Victoria mysteries). I read them when I was much younger, but I remember being captivated by the storylines.

      Delete
  2. I'm a huge fan of Harry Potter, and surprisingly haven't read any of your suggestions. I'll need to check out a few now! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by -- and I hope that you like the books that you choose! Be sure to let me know =)

      Delete
  3. Great list! Quite a few of these are on my TBR list. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eli! And it's so wonderful to see you back in the blogosphere =)

      Delete
  4. Like your list. I'm a huge fan of the Potter books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vikk! It's hard to top the wonderful world of Harry Potter, isn't it? I always feel mildly envious when I hear of people who haven't read them yet because they'll get to experience the series for the very first time =)

      Delete
  5. City of Bones was fantastic! I would add The Magicians & The Magician King by Lev Grossman too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh... I haven't read that one! Thanks for the recommendation =)

      Delete
  6. We really are the Harry Potter generation! From here on, people will never know what it's like to wait for a HP book or movie to be released. I hope future generations love HP just as much as we do :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I plan to read these books with my son when he's old enough, so there will definitely be next generational HP love in my household =P

      Delete

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs