8/25/12

Reading Slump -- and Fifty Shades

It's been a while since I've posted a review on here!  The summer's been a busy one, with two trips out of town and not as much reading time as I'd normally have.  And, to be perfectly honest, I've been in a bit of a reading slump -- I feel like every book that I've picked up hasn't grabbed my attention, so I've put it aside and reached for another book ... with the same effect.  Perhaps it's the weather, or the fact that hubby and I have just started watching Game of Thrones (that show is SO amazing and so addicting!) or ... the other big news: WE'RE HAVING A BABY!  I'm due in early February and, although I've been feeling 100% fine all along, it's still more fun to read about how big baby is or that he or she has eyelashes and eyebrows already (seriously!) more than diving into a fantastical storybook world.

With that being said, I did get sucked into the rest of the Fifty Shades series while we road tripped to Alberta earlier this month.  I'm not going to write a full review on them: if they books are your cup of tea after reading the first one, you'll keep reading since there's something ridiculously addicting about the series.  After reading the first one, I hadn't even realized that the books originally started as Twilight fan fiction, but I kept comparing the readability of the books to the Twilight series.  They books aren't well written, the characters have moments where I wanted to reach into the book and tell them to smarten up, yet I devoured two books in less than a week.  Same as Twilight: I wouldn't say that I loved the series, and there were SO MANY things that irritated me about the plot, the characters, the vampire mythology, etc, etc, yet I would stay up until the wee hours of the morning reading just one more chapter, while my eyelids became progressively heavier.  Can anyone explain this weird phenomenon?  What is it about books that are poorly written but are just so un-put-down-able?  Seriously.

So, that's what's new in my part of the world.  I've just started reading Veronica Rossi's Under the Never Sky, which has grabbed me in its initial few pages, so I have my fingers crossed that the end of the slump is nigh.  Plus, Anna and the French Kiss just arrived at the library (I can't believe that I haven't read this book yet, and I originally put it on hold on NEW YEAR'S DAY).  So, with two good books on the horizon, I'm feeling optimistic.  Besides, I've only got another five months to read like a crazy maniac -- who knows how much free time I'll have come February?!?

4 comments:

  1. WOOO! Melissa, so many congratulations! Totally understandable that your focus would be the baby! I mean, I think I'd be absorbing baby books left and right because um, I've never been a parent before! SO much to learn in a short 9 month time span! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much again and ... ditto! A friend just passed on another pile of books (and I've already read a dozen or so from the library!), so I'll be reading even more. I've exhausted the pregnancy books, so next step is figuring out what to do with the baby when we bring him or her home from the hospital =P

      Delete
  2. I'm so torn about reading 50 Shades or not...on the one hand, I want to stand my ground on a book that I despise is flying off the bookshelves at the bookstore, but on the other hand, I want to see for *myself* what all the fuss is about. It's my bookclub's pick for November, so I *may* succumb then! We will see...! ;)

    Also, congrats on the bun in the oven! I already feel like it's so easy to get off track with reading sans baby, so I'm scared what a baby will bring to my reading schedule! (I mean, no bun in my oven, but one day...)You will have to blog all about it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks Brie! Hubby and I are both pretty stoked, and excited for this next stage in our lives. I'm also looking at all the great books that are being published next February, and wondering how much reading time I'll have ;-)

      I didn't LOVE Fifty Shades, but I think that's partly because it's terribly written. If you've read Twilight, it's the same kind of style (although COMPLETELY different content) -- crappy writing, yet un-put-down-able, for some weird reason. What a great book club choice though, since that would generate the most discussion!

      Delete

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs