8/24/12

TGIF [14] - August 24


Happy Friday Everyone!

TGIF is hosted, as always, by Greads. This week's question is: Back to School Reading: Which books would you like to see in today's high school Literature classrooms? 

Almost any book would be better than the ones that I read in high school (i.e. Lord of the Flies and Catcher in the Rye).  My husband is a high school English teacher, and I love that he doesn't do class novel studies.  Instead, the kids read their own book choices, and then do "book talks" in front of the class, introducing and promoting the book, as well as telling what they liked and disliked about the book.  The kids all set their own reading goals, based on their reading levels.  The best books that I read in high school were the ones that I was allowed to choose for myself.  And with the wide variety of excellent YA literature that is now available to teens, why not allow them to explore a variety of genres and find their own favourites?

2 comments:

  1. That sounds like a great way to get students reading, letting them choose what they want to read. I read some good stuff (and some not so good stuff!) as an English student, but some of it I didn't really appreciate at the time and it didn't really hold my attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Especially in high school, when kids can learn to love or hate reading based on what they're "forced" to read. In university, I definitely read some books that didn't go down well (that I still loathe to this day, ahem, Faulkner, ahem), but at least I was old enough to recognize that these were just books that weren't my favourites, rather than turning me off reading altogether. Plus, I discovered more amazing books than non-amazing ones, some that are still favourites today!

      Delete

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs