1/26/13

Blackberry Winter - Sarah Jio

Well, I'm off to a good start for 2013 by starting with an adult book (since, one of my bookish resolutions was to read more "big kid" books).  I first heard of this book when Jaime @ The Perpetual Page-Turner RAVED about it in her review, so I put it on hold at the library.  I haven't listened to an audio book in a long time, so I thought I'd give this one a shot on audio to help make my forty-five minute commute a little more tolerable (and distract me from the fact that I usually desperately have to pee by the time I get to work!)

It was such a refreshing change to dive back into adult literature, and this was the perfect book for that reintroduction.  Sarah Jio is a talented writer and I loved that the book flipped back and forth between two narrators.  (Interestingly enough, I'm now listening to another audio book with two narrators, and I have to admit that I prefer having two separate narrators as well, rather than one person narrating two different voices).  The storyline begins with a freak snowstorm in May in 1933, when Vera returns home from work to find that her little boy has gone missing.  The storyline then switches to Claire's perspective, 80 years later, when another freak snowstorm hits Seattle on the same date in May, prompting Claire's features editor at work to assign her a story to cover the coincidence between the two storms.  Claire, frustrated by the lack of anything remotely interesting about the story, begins investigating and learns about Daniel's mysterious and unsolved disappearance 80 years earlier.  And the story takes off, weaving back and forth between these two women's points of view, as they deal with their own demons and come to terms with their losses.

As I said earlier, Sarah Jio is a very talented writer and this book is perfectly paced.  It's part mystery, part historical fiction and part love story, but perfectly balanced into a really, really good read.  There were parts of it that were a little tough to handle (being that I was eight months pregnant while reading it), but I think that any story to do with children is going to tug at my heartstrings now.  I will definitely be reading more of Sarah's work, and thank you Jaime for introducing me to this book!

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad you loved it!! I can't recommend it enough but I would imagine some that would be hard to read whilst pregnant! Just such a devastating story with Vera :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again for the recommendation! Yeah, Vera's story was a little tough to read, but I found Claire's even tougher at times.

      Delete

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs