6/28/13

The Storyteller - Jodi Picoult

Jodi Picoult is a master storyteller and she never shies away from the tough subjects.  The Storyteller is, in many ways, a very typical Picoult novel -- there's twists (some of which are predictable, especially if you've read lots of her books and know how she usually structures in her twists) and a great moral conundrum.  One of the things that I love best about Jodi Picoult is that she always manages to present a story where you really don't know whose side to take.  The Storyteller is no exception.

I enjoyed the book, as I have enjoyed nearly every other book she's written, but there wasn't anything about this book that made me jump out of my seat with excitement or anything that kept me reading long into the night.  It's a good story, told in multiple viewpoints, as she usually does.  It is a little slow at times, and I found some of it to be repetitive.  The main character, Sage, wasn't as likeable as some of her other protagonists, and I found her insecurity and anger at the world to be little unbelievable.  Sage is scarred from a car accident and is uncomfortable with having the world see her, but I thought that the voice of a scarred woman was done much better in Jennifer Weiner's latest novel, The Next Best Thing.

In the middle section of the book, Sage's grandmother, Minka, tells of her experiences during the Holocaust.  That section is especially difficult to read, but at the same time the pace of the book really picks up at that point and I read through it quite quickly.  The final section of the book slows down again a little, but it's short and at that point I just wanted to know how the story would resolve itself.

If you're a fan of Jodi Picoult, you'll likely enjoy this book as I did.  It's not her best work, but many of her latest books have been a bit disappointing for me anyways.  It definitely has some pretty horrific descriptions of events of the Holocaust, so if this time period makes you squeamish then you may want to pass on this one.  Or at least skip Part 2 of the book.  Personally, I enjoy WWII stories and recognize that, although this is a time period that we may wish to forget, it's definitely an important one in our history and the memory of those who were lost should not be forgotten.

Book #6 - done!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs