7/31/13

Point of Retreat - Colleen Hoover

I feel like I'm rather late to the Colleen Hoover bandwagon, but better late than never, right?  I reviewed Slammed last month and enjoyed it, despite the fact that it had that icky student-teacher relationship thing going on.  I immediately put Point of Retreat on hold at the library, knowing that I would continue reading Layken and Will's story, even if I didn't enjoy it as much as Sky and Holder's love story.

Point of Retreat was MUCH better than Slammed.  The story takes place after the conclusion of Slammed, so the teacher-student thing is completely out of the picture.  Plus, Colleen through in some great twists and some heart-wrenching emotional moments.  I absolutely LOVED the vase filled with stars concept.

There's still one thing about these books that annoys me though.  It seems like whenever a character has a little gimmick, it just gets completely overused in the book.  For example, no one knocks at Will's house, and it seems like every time someone came over, he always noticed that they hadn't knocked.  Or the fact that people are constantly throwing french fries at each other.  It made me wonder why they couldn't ever get through a meal without someone throwing food?  Especially when Layken and Will are trying to be parents to the two younger boys -- starting a food fight at each meal seems non-parental to me.  I don't know, maybe it's just me, but some of these little things just irked me.  Like in the Gossip Girl books when Blair "teeters" in every single pair of high heels she wears.  And since the fashion is a huge portion of those novels, her outfit is described numerous times, including which designer heels she's "teetering" in.  After a while, I just started to wish that she wouldn't wear heels if she couldn't stand properly in them.  Am I just completely neurotic???

With those small minor details out of the way, Colleen Hoover DOES know how to tell a story, and tell it well.  I have just joined Edelweiss and my request to review This Girl was just approved -- so look for my review coming soon!  (Especially since I usually read these books in only a day or two -- I just can't put 'em down!)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs