7/2/13

Top Ten Most Intimidating Books


It's Tuesday and time for another Top Ten Tuesday, hosted by the wonderful people over at The Broke and the Bookish.  This week's topic is about intimidating books and I'm choosing those books that are HUGE.  That I totally want to read one day, but just haven't because of their sheer size.  Jaime @ The Perpetual Page Turner wrote a great post a few months ago about chunky books, and I had to agree with what she wrote.  I get caught up in the number of books that I'm trying to read per year, and therefore always go with shorter books.  Anyone else think that Goodreads should add a page number challenge?  I'd be SO down with that, and more likely to actually knock some of these bad boys off my TBR list if I could count the number of pages read towards my annual challenge!

1. Atlas Shrugged - Ayn Rand
One of my best friends recommended this book to me YEARS ago, but it's just been sitting on my shelf.

2. World Without End - Ken Follett
I loved Pillars of the Earth, but haven't read the sequel yet.  Why not?  Probably because I bought it in hardcover and it's heavy and far too big to tuck into my purse.

3. Outlander - Diana Gabaldon
Even my mom has read this one.  And I still haven't, even though I thought I'd do the Outlander challenge last year and read the whole series.

4. Game of Thrones - George R.R. Martin
I adore the TV show, and have heard such great things about the books.  I've lent my copy to a friend, but still haven't read it.

5. Alias Grace - Margaret Atwood
I started this one while I was camping years ago, but never finished it.  And I love Atwood.

6. Inkspell - Cornelia Funke
I think I'd have to reread Inkheart first, and that was a long book.  Or maybe just see the movie?  If it's at all similar to the book?

7. The Forbidden Game - L.J. Smith
A friend recommended this one to me, and I found a copy on sale at Chapters.  It's three books in one volume, but still a hefty read.

8. 11/22/63 - Stephen King
I probably shouldn't put this one on my list, since I bought it for my husband for Christmas last year and he hasn't read it yet.  Would it be tacky to read it first?  In any case, I've heard that this is one of his better newer books, but the size of the thing!  Yowza!

9. Lonesome Dove - Larry McMurtry
My husband has been pestering me to read this book since we moved in together in the summer of 2005.  Perhaps it's the size of the book that's putting me off, or the fact that it's a western, but he swears it's one of the best books that he's ever read!

10. The Name of the Wind - Patrick Rothfuss
This is probably one of the shortest books on this list; however, it's fantasy and therefore makes me a little nervous.  But the bookseller who recommended it to me said that he loved it as much as The Shadow of the Wind, and we had bonded over our shared adoration for that book.  So I will give it a chance ... at some point.

While perusing my shelves for this week's top ten, I realized that there are some big books that I have read and loved.  In addition to Pillars of the Earth, I have also loved all of Wally Lamb's books (and they are all LONG), all of Anne-Marie MacDonald's work, as well as Rohinton Mistry's A Fine Balance.  And I still plan to finish Shantaram one of these days.  Honest.  I think I just need a larger purse for all of these massive books!

What are your intimidating books?  Have you read any of the ones on my list?  Please leave me a link to your TTT post and I'll stop by!

4 comments:

  1. Ahh! You have the Name of the Wind on your list!
    That's so funny because I have a friend who LOVES, fav all time, this book and she has been yelling at me to read it for forever!
    I've heard from many others it is excellent as well, but I totally understand. I'm intimidated by it too!
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha. "Would it be tacky to read this first?" NO. It's a little slow at first but I really truly fell in love with 11/23/63. Maybe if you read it first, he'll be convinced to pick it up after you. Actually, I guarantee that will happen :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah yes. Game of Thrones is on my list this week too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good list, the Game of Thrones series makes my list as well although I have read the first book and I loved it.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs