8/30/13

Something Like Normal - Trish Doller

I think 2013 will be known as the year that I read a lot of books with extremely high expectations, and was subsequently disappointed.  I suppose that these are the pros and cons of being involved in the bookish world.  On the one hand, I rarely dive into a book without knowing that some of my trusted bookish friends loved the book, but on the other hand, this also results in me having extremely high expectations for said book.  This used to work out quite well for me, as most of the books that I read were solidly researched and I was usually very certain that I'd like them before I even picked them up.  I was reading recently on someone's blog that it's for this reason that this blogger didn't have many low-starred reviews -- when you really research the book prior to reading it, then you almost always end up loving it.

Something Like Normal was one of those books.  I seemed like those who read it absolutely loved it, and I was starting to hear a lot of blogger buzz around her upcoming release.  I checked this one out of the library to take on holiday with me, thinking that a contemporary would be the perfect holiday read.

I liked the book, don't get me wrong, but I just don't think I loved it as much as I had hoped I would.  Perhaps it's the fact that the military culture just isn't as big in Canada, so I couldn't really relate to Travis' experiences.  Or maybe it's just the fact that I don't personally know anyone who's served overseas, which therefore made it a little harder to relate to the book.  With that aside, Travis is a really interesting and multi-faceted character and I really enjoyed watching his development throughout the book.  It's a short book, but a lot happens within a limited amount of pages.  In some ways, it seems like everything develops just a little TOO quickly because of the length of the book, but in other ways it's also good that the book just sucks you in and the story unravels at a quick pace until you've been spit out the other end, feeling like you've been caught in a whirlwind of Travis' emotions.

There are way too few male POV books in YA literature, so it is a refreshing change to read a book told from the guy's perspective.  Although I can't consider this book to be one of my all-time favourite reads, I can definitely still see why Trish Doller has won so many readers' hearts!


2 comments:

  1. I think the short length did this book a bit of a disservice-some more pages would have deepened the characterizations I think and allowed us to connect more. You're not alone-I was a bit disappointed in this book too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted a little more from this one, too! I think I probably enjoyed it more than you did, but I DID think it needed to be longer. I feel like a little more fleshing out would have benefited it. I wanted some more from this one (especially considering how hyped it was), but I did enjoy getting a male perspective. That was a nice change for me!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs