8/26/13

Wild Awake - Hilary T. Smith

I'd heard mixed reviews from bloggers on this book; it seemed like a book that I would either adore or DNF.  The beautiful cover lured me in and I ordered myself a copy, really hoping that I'd fall into the adore category.  And I did.  Oh, how I did.

While I was still waiting for my copy to arrive in the mail, I saw a promotional post on Facebook with a map of Kiri's adventures.  My jaw dropped when I checked out the map; I hadn't even REALIZED that the book takes place in Vancouver!!!  (That's where I live, for those who don't know).  Even from page one, it was awesome seeing Granville Street and East Van in print and it just really brought the book to life for me.

The writing is GORGEOUS.  I've seen some critiques of Hilary T. Smith's writing who said that the writing style is odd.  I would have to agree with that statement; I definitely have never read another book that is even remotely similar to this novel.  The odd writing style, however, really brings Kiri's character to life, and I was absolutely swept along by her adventure.

I don't want to say much more for fear of ruining this exceptional book.  If you're looking for something unique and different than anything else out there, then I would definitely recommend this one.  As I've read from others though, this book may not appeal to everyone, just because of the subject material (drugs, mental illness, etc).

1 comments:

  1. I liked this book too-it's not quite a favorite because I found the writing and plotting a bit out there but I had a good time reading it. Glad it worked for you!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs