10/25/13

Friday Favourite - Fall on Your Knees

Happy Friday everyone!  This is a new feature that I'm starting here on the blog, highlighting some of my all-time favourite books.  This is partially inspired by Jaime @ The Perpetual Page-Turner's Before I Blogged series, where she highlights books that she read and loved before she started blogging.  I have SO MANY favourite books to share and plan on doing at least a couple of these per month ... it'll take off the pressure to post frequent reviews, since I'm sharing thoughts on books that I read a while ago, while also giving me the chance to plug some older titles that you might not have read.


Lauren @ Lose Time Reading, Hannah @ So Obsessed With and I were talking about this book on Twitter a few weeks ago, so I just knew that I had to talk about it as one of my Friday Favourites. I read this book for a Women's Studies class that I took in my second year at university, which was taught by one of the most incredible professors that I had the pleasure of meeting.  I read it the summer before school started (because I'm overly enthusiastic that way) and absolutely adored the story.  Then, I was assigned to do a group presentation on the book and the women that I worked with transported my understanding of the book to a whole different level.  I read it once more while we worked on our project and dove deeper into the storyline and the characters.  In our presentation, we each took on the role of one of the characters and talked about the themes of the story from that character's perspective.  We wove music into our presentation, with both CDs of certain songs and me playing the piano for other tunes (if I recall correctly, piano playing was an integral part of the story).  Our presentation ended with Celine Dion's rendition of Ave Maria and the class was absolutely silent, save for our prof who was sniffling.  At the end of each group presentation, the presenting group was to answer questions from the class, but our prof asked if the class could have a moment to compose themselves before the Q&A portion began, because quite a few people were moved.

This is a book that I want to read again one day, just because it sticks out in my mind as being one of those stories that had such a profound impact on me during some of my most formative years.  As I was just beginning to discover who I was as a person, this book really stuck with me and I felt like the story forever changed me after I finished reading it.  It's still one of my all-time favourites.

6 comments:

  1. Now I regret not buying this at the book sale I went to yesterday. I will have to find a copy one of these days :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omigosh -- it's SO, so good! There's plans in the works for an end-of-winter reading of this one (a re-reading for some, a first reading for others) -- details to come!

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad you featured this one Melissa :) It's so unheard of I feel! I would love to do a reread of this one as well, we should do it together!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Already tweeted you ... but YES! Let's make this HAPPEN!

      Delete
  3. I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for this one at my local used bookstore! Gotta be prepared for our future read-along :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! I think it's a total Hannah book =)

      Delete

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs