10/14/13

Top Ten Books That I Was Forced to Read


It's Tuesday and time for another Top Ten Tuesday, hosted by the wonderful people over at The Broke and the Bookish.  This week's topic is books that I was forced to read.  I've decided to put a positive spin on this list and highlight books that I might not have picked up on my own, but ended up loving.

1. Me Before You - Jojo Moyes
As I mentioned in my review, the cover of this book didn't grab my attention.  If it wasn't for Cassie's LOVE of this book, I might not have picked it up, nor had such an incredibly personal connection to the story.

2. Fall on Your Knees - Ann-Marie MacDonald
Lauren from Lose Time Reading and I were just discussing this book on Twitter the other day.  I read it for a course that I took in university and fell head over heels in love with the characters, the story, the writing, everything.

3. God of Small Things - Arundhati Roy
I read this book for the same course as Fall on Your Knees (one of the best courses that I took in university actually!).  This is, hands down, one of the most beautiful and heart-wrenching love stories that I have ever read.

4. To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
We had our choice of a select list of novels to read for a novel study in Grade 10 English, and I chose this one.  I was home sick for a few days and I remember devouring the entire thing in a day and a half.  It's still one of my all-time favourite novels.

5. The Chrysalids - John Wyndham
This book was on that same list of novels to choose from in Grade 10, but I opted to read To Kill a Mockingbird instead.  I discovered it while working on a project for my final Women's Studies course, and it's probably the first dystopian novel that I ever read -- soon to be the first of many!

6. Beloved - Toni Morrison
I read this one for an American Literature course during my last year in university and was absolutely swept away by the story.

7. Their Eyes Were Watching God - Zora Neale Hurston
I read this for the same course as Beloved (one was for the first half of the course, the second was for the other part of the course ... but I can't remember which is which).  Again, I was captivated by the story and the writing.  The movie adaptation with Halle Berry was released that same year, and I really enjoyed the movie version too.

8. Holes - Louis Sachar
Once upon a time, I didn't read much young adult literature.  As an English student, I read a lot of classics, and then adult literature for fun on the side.  Then I took a YA education course, read Holes and my life was never quite the same after that!

9. Instruments of Darkness - Nancy Huston
I took a Canadian fiction course as part of my English degree and this book absolutely blew me away.  In retrospect, it seems to be a little similar in storytelling style to The Gargoyle, another of my all-time favourites.

10. Green Grass, Running Water - Thomas King
This book was so weird and different, but came alive for me when we discussed it at school.  I remember feeling like I really "got it" and that aha moment stuck with me long after the course was done.  Anyone else ever have that moment when your professor would explain the innuendos behind the novel...and all of a sudden the storyline just opens up to a whole new level of understanding?  This is the one book that I can distinctly remember that moment, from a "what the heck is going on?" to "Oh, my gosh, this writer is a freakin' GENIUS!"

Most of these books were ones that I was required to read for school.  What about you?  Any great books that you were forced to read, but ended up loving?  Leave me a link to your TTT post and I'll stop by!

16 comments:

  1. I LOVED The Chrysalids, but wasn't forced to read it. To Kill a Mockingbird was a grade 9 English book and I didn't want to read it. I finally tried the night before the exam on it... and stayed up very late reading because it was better than I thought it would be :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost want to reread TKAaM just to see if it'll still have that same magic...

      Delete
  2. I somehow always forget about The Crysalids but I remember loving that book in Grade 10! It was such a cool concept and made me want to read Brave New World even more in Grade 11. Great list :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read Brave New World, but I've heard really good things and I have a copy on my bookshelf!

      Delete
  3. Toni Morrison made my list as well. She's one of my favorite writers. God of Small Things is brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not too many people have heard of God of Small Things -- it's nice to meet someone who loves it too =)

      Delete
  4. Holes was such a fantastic book! I must have read it to death during my school years. I really want to read Me Before You, I have it sat on my shelf and it looks brilliant, I just need to get round to reading it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You MUST read MBY -- with tissues. Lots and lots of tissues. Let me know what you think!

      Delete
  5. I loved Their Eyes Were Watching God--- such a moving book! One of my close friends in college made me read it. It is her all time favorite. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it got forced on you ... I thought it was incredibly moving too!

      Delete
  6. Great list! I've had Me Before You from Netgalley for a while and haven't read it yet, I know I need to, but I feel like it will destroy me, but soon I will be forced to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I commented above, you MUST read MBY ... with tissues. Lots and lots of tissues =)

      Delete
  7. To Kill A Mockingbird!! Good call!! I still have to read Me Before You too... :) Heard really great things about it!

    Thanks for stopping by my TTT! (BTW, I`ve been M.I.A. for a while online so I don`t know when you changed it but I LOVE your blog design!!)

    Michele

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha -- it's been about a year since the redesign, but I appreciate the compliment nonetheless!

      Delete
  8. I NEED to read Me Before You :) Between you and Cass's amazing reviews I am SURE to love it! And yah for Fall on Your Knees, I hope more people read this and love it like us :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YESSSSS -- Cass and I will force you =) And knowing what a book crier you are, you will be a MESS. I'm posting about Fall on Your Knees AGAIN this week ... so be on the lookout for that!

      Delete

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs