1/24/14

Cruel Beauty - Rosamund Hodge

When I first heard about this book, I was sold at "Beauty and the Beast retelling."  Honestly, what book lover doesn't absolutely adore that Disney movie, and drool like crazy over the Beast's library?  Then I saw the cover, and fell even more in love with wanting to read this book.  I mean just LOOK at it: the rose, the staircase, the red and black.  It's everything I love in a good cover.

Cruel Beauty is a hard book for me to review.  There were things that I loved about the book, and things that didn't really work for me, which left me feeling a bit on the fence about the story by the end.  First of all, let me talk about the positive things.  The concept of the book is very unique and really unlike anything that I've ever read.  The writing is absolutely GORGEOUS and I'm very intrigued to read whatever Rosamund writes next.  She is truly a talented writer. 

On the flip side, there were moments in this book where I wasn't really enjoying the story and felt myself losing focus.  In retrospect, most of these moments were when some mythology was being recounted.  Perhaps it's just the fact that I'm not really into mythology, but I felt like my eyes were glazing over a bit during those parts of the story.  If you're into mythology, you'll likely love the book for that very same reason.  Also, Nyx's character annoyed me at times.  She reminded me a bit of Juliet in The Madman's Daughter, and seemed completely spineless at times when it came to dealing with the males in her life.  Perhaps, just like Juliet, it's just indicative of the time in which the book is set, but I just wanted to reach into the book and smack her a couple of times.

On the whole, I did enjoy this book, mainly because of the writing style.  If you're at all intrigued by the story, I'd recommend picking it up and giving it a try.  I will definitely be looking to see what Rosamund comes up with next!

Note: I received an e-galley of this book from Edelweiss.  The fact that I received this book for review did not influence my opinion of this book in any way.

1 comments:

  1. I'm curious about Cruel Beauty, but I'm not 100% sure if I actually want to read it. I do think that Nyx would annoy me a bit as well. I have heard that the writing is beautiful though.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs