1/29/14

Maybe One Day - Melissa Kantor

I have to start this review with a few confessions.

First, when I downloaded this book for review, I totally thought it was by Melissa Walker, and I was excited to read one of her books because the girls at Rather Be Reading constantly rave about her books.  So, I had a completely brain dead moment and mixed up my Melissas ... funny isn't it, since that's my name as well?

Secondly, I didn't read the description of the book AT ALL.  Probably because I was blindly trusting my favourite bloggers' love for the author, even though that author turned out to be the wrong one.  Ooops.  So, if you are like me, and don't read the blurb for the book, you should know just one thing: this is a Cancer Book.

Finally, I found myself getting all confused about what book I was actually reading when I went to add it on Goodreads because the cover on my ARC didn't match what was on Goodreads.  Turns out the cover design was changed before the book was even printed!  I can't decide which one I like best, so here's both pictures.  The one on the left is the actual cover; my ARC had the cover on the right.


Now, onto the review!  I'm on the fence about this one.  The book opens with two girls, Zoe and Olivia, in ballet school.  I immediately thought, "Yay! Bunheads!" but we quickly find out that the girls have been cut from ballet school, and now must search for another focus in their lives.  What follows is a story that is equal parts friendship, self-discovery and determination.  The friendship between Zoe and Olivia is one of the strengths of this novel.  It's real and tender and perfect.  Although the story is told well and I really can't fault the author for anything, I just didn't connect with the cancer part of the story in the same way that I did with The Fault in Our Stars or Second Chance Summer.  I feel bad saying this about this book, because it's a GOOD book, but it just didn't quite live up to the standard set by the other two novels.  I was a sobbing MESS at the end of both other novels, and I just didn't have the same reaction to Maybe One Day.  At the end of the book, I was left feeling that it was just okay, mainly because I wish that it could have been so much better.

4 comments:

  1. Great review.I have this one coming up. I guess I know what I am getting into so I won't be surprised. Its hard to put any book up against The Fault in our Stars. That book was really good. This one sounds good too and I can't wait to get to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, well cancer books aren't somthing that I pick up easily. I have read TFIOS (of course. Did you see the trailer this morning?) and I really liked that. But I don't think I'll want to read another one any time soon.

    I'm glad that you did like this one for the most part, even if you didn't connect to the cancer part as much as TFIOS and Second Chance Summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm curious about this one! I had NO idea it was a cancer book, but I do love books that involve strong female friendships. Hmm... Maybe I'll library it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh gosh. You make me laugh. I was thinking about the two covers the other day & I really like the second one better. The first one doesn't fit any of the scenes in the book, especially since it's the BEACH and they spend most of their time in the city. Right? This book def. had something missing for me too. You should check out Girlfriend Material by this Melissa though. It's quite good.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs