1/20/14

Top 10 Things on my Reading Wishlist


It's Tuesday and time for another Top Ten Tuesday, hosted by the wonderful people over at The Broke and the Bookish.  This week's topic is things on my reading wishlist!  I did a similar list last year, for bookish turn-offs, so I've borrowed a few things from that list (but the more positive, flip side), plus a few other things that I look for in a good book...

1. A love relationship with only two people. 

I enjoy a good love story, but they're best told without the triangle and the heroine needing to choose between Team One Guy and Team Another Guy.

2. A relationship that develops normally.  

This is the flip-side to insta-love.  A good book relationship develops normally, not "I looked into her eyes and instantly knew we should be together forever..."

3. Fantastic world building.  

This one ties in with #5 below, but I love reading a book where the world building is well done and easy to follow.  Unique world building too also wins extra points from me!

4. A beautiful cover.  

I'll admit, I'm a judge a book by it's cover kind of gal.  A beautiful cover will usually pique my interest in reading a book, often before I even know what the story will entail.

5. A completely unique concept.  

The more I read, the harder this is to find.  Just the other day, I was reading a Goodreads summary aloud to my husband and said, "Doesn't that sound interesting?"  To which he sighed and responded, "That storyline has been done so many times over."  Sad as it is, it's true.  So I'm always looking for a book with a completely new concept that will make me say, "WOW.  What a book."

6. For a series, a definitive ending.

As much as I love the Mortal Instruments, I was a bit disappointed when the series added another three books to what would have been a perfect trilogy.  Similarly, I thought The House of the Scorpion was a fantastic standalone, and I didn't understand why Nancy Farmer would add more to the story years later (I DNFed Lord of Opium anyways, just couldn't get into it).  A standalone should stay a standalone, even if the series does well, and a good series should really only have three books (Harry Potter is the only exception to this rule, in my humble opinion).

7. Strong female characters.

Just as spineless female characters will make me dislike a book, I LOVE reading stories with really strong female characters!  I'm thinking of Elisa in The Girl of Fire & Thorns trilogy, and Katniss in The Hunger Games ... you go grrrrrrrls!

8. Level-headed male characters.

I strongly dislike male characters that completely fly off the handle constantly.  When I'm reading, especially if the story is told from a male POV, I like it when the male characters are level-headed.  I think this is the reason that I had a hard time getting into the Pushing the Limits series -- Noah's off the wall-ness was such a turnoff.  I'd love to read a book told by a sweet, caring male narrator!

9. Beautiful writing.

There's a fine line for me between beautiful writing and fiction that's just too literary for my taste.  I'm thinking of Julianna Baggot's Pure or Laini Taylor's Daughter of Smoke & Bone.  Or Janet Fitch's White Oleander.  The writing in these books just kept me gobbling up the words, and I love it when a book is just compellingly beautiful in the way it's told.

10. A plot that keeps me interested.

With an almost one year old on my hands, my reading time is harder to find these days.  So I need a book that keeps me turning the pages and interested in the plot.  Sometimes a couple of days will go by since the last time I picked up the book, and I need a story that I can easily dive back into, not flip back through the pages to try and remember what was happening.

What is on YOUR reading wishlist?  Leave me a link to your Top Ten Tuesday, and I'll stop by!

2 comments:

  1. I am SOOOO with you about no love triangles. They actually usually make me mad, and I hav eno patience for them whatsoever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are all so spot on and true. I am excited about City of Heavenly Fire, but I do agree that City of Glass had a great ending and the last 2 books just haven't lived up to how great the first three were.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs