2/13/14

Life of a Blogger - Plans for the Future


My good friend, Jessi, over at Novel Heartbeat has just started this awesome new feature as a way for her followers to get to know her better!  Check out the list of upcoming topics here.

Today's topic is plans for the future.  In January, I posted about the very roundabout way that I decided to work in a library.  At the moment, I'm currently working on my fourth to last course towards the completion of my diploma in Library & Information Technology.  So, that's my biggest plan for the future: to one day work in a public library and be surrounded by books ALL THE TIME.

On February 3rd, I was scheduled to return to my old job as my maternity leave was ending.  Last year, I wrote about how I was really nervous about going back because of the behaviour of some of the girls that I work with.  After that post, things kind of got worse, as my boss was being less than welcoming about some of my working conditions.  Basically, to make a long story short, I wouldn't be returning to my old position and wouldn't be sitting at the same desk.  Instead, despite my requests otherwise, I'd be doing a job that I wasn't really interested in and sitting at a smaller desk that faced directly into the corner.  Needless to say, I wasn't looking forward to going back.

It's been a long time since I'd been on the job hunt, but I spruced up my resume -- starting with changing my last name ... yup, a really long time!  Over five weeks, I applied for over 30 jobs and heard NOTHING.  I was starting to feel discouraged and then I had a phone interview.  It went well and I met with the interviewer and the owner of the company in person the following week.  Then, I was called for a second interview and they made me an offer!  I've now been back at work for exactly two weeks at this new job and I am absolutely LOVING it.  The office staff is friendly and welcoming, the work is fun and challenging and I really feel like I'm appreciated as part of the staff.

Although I would still like to work in a library one day, perhaps once I'm finished my program, for the time being I'm really happy in my new job!

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're loving your new job! I spent ages looking for mine, as nobody wanted to employ someone with so little work experience. But I'm really enjoying mine right now, even if it's not something that I want to do forever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you found a new job and that you're loving it! That's great news Melissa :)
    And working in a library is such a great goal and as long as you keep working at it, you'll make it there one day! :) Thanks for sharing this with us. I love the idea of this feature!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so exciting! I love reading people's posts for this feature because it's great to know the blogger better. I'm so happy that you found a better job and loving it! Congrats :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's really exciting! I'm so happy to hear that you were able to get out of the bad working situation and into a much better environment :) Yay for this fabulous little life update - I'm really thrilled for you, M!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs