2/17/14

On Starting a New Series

I keep reading all of these GREAT discussion posts (like Cass' Thursday Thoughts and all of the great discussion posts that Jaime @ The Perpetual Page-Turner shares) and I HAVE all these bookish thoughts, just never the guts to post them.  I'm taking a deep breath, and sharing some of my bookish thoughts with you today...

I've posted before about my difficulty in finishing a series that I've started.  I either A) read the first book and then never read beyond that or B) read the whole series except the last book.  This is why Jessi @ Novel Heartbeat and I are co-hosting the Sequel & Prequel Challenge ... encouraging me to FINISH what I've started.

Today, however, I bring you a new series problem.  I have a few (actually, more like a LOT) of books that I've bought and never read.  Many of these books are the first in a series that I still have yet to try.  Some of these books have been sitting on my shelf for YEARS, yet I haven't read them yet.  I'm certain that I bought all of these books because I know that I will like the series, but I just haven't started reading yet.  And I'm not really sure why.  There's really nothing better than jumping into a new series and falling head over heels for the characters, the world and the story.  Plus, the storyline lasts longer than just one volume as the story unfolds in multiple installments.  I think back fondly to the day that I fell in love with the first Harry Potter book, and then realized that there would be SIX MORE incredible stories to experience with these memorable characters.  And I want so badly to have that experience all over again.  But a part of me is a little scared.  Perhaps it's the fear of the book being overhyped (that's happened to me too often to count) and I'm worried that I bought the book thinking it would be incredible, only to be disappointed.  Perhaps it's the fact that I approach each series hoping for a Harry Potter-esque moment and have yet to be swept away in that same way.  I don't know ... but these books sit unread on my shelves.

I had set a goal this year of finishing off a lot of my pending series and continuing on with series that I've started, but haven't finished.  I'm now planning to amend that goal a little bit and dive into some new series, immerse myself in some new worlds and hope for a series that will win my heart over.

How about you?  How do you feel when you start a new series?  Do you share any of the same fears that I have?  Any tips and suggestions for how to approach a new series so that I won't doom myself from the beginning by expecting too much?  Let me know in the comments below!

4 comments:

  1. I love to start new series, but then I have problems finishing them. I just started a few new series this year. We will see when I actually finish them. I'm in the prequel and sequel challenge I'm hoping to make some progress this month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do worry about hyped books, although I try not to let it affect me. I do, however, have problems finishing series! I love starting them because I love exploring new worlds and meeting new characters, but then I get nervous about how they're going to end, and sometimes I don't want to leave the world they're set in. Also, I start too many series and get distracted! I want to change this this year, and finish a lot of the ones that I'm currently in the middle of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't really get NERVOUS about starting a new series, but it definitely takes some planning (at least for me). I've made this rule for myself that I'm not allowed to start a new series unless all of the books in the series have been published. And then I read them all back-to-back. Mostly it's just because I have a horrible book memory and don't want to have too many unfinished series on my plate at once. It's been working out for me pretty well so far :) I think that sometimes I get worried that a series is going to be overhyped or I just won't like it...but I try not to stress out about it. There are SO many books out there, that I'm sure to find a million and a half that I absolutely love. Having to go through a few "eh" books to find those amazing ones is definitely worth the trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't read a lot of series, so I get a little anxious when I actually decide to start a series. There have been a few series I didn't feel the need to continue one with (Wither), but for the most part the ones I start are ones I'm interested in finishing. I think it helps that I don't read a lot of dystopian and fantasy though because my options are more limited :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs