3/6/14

Life of a Blogger - Camping


My good friend, Jessi, over at Novel Heartbeat has just started this awesome new feature as a way for her followers to get to know her better!  Check out the list of upcoming topics here.

Today's topic is camping!  I used to camp A LOT, but I haven't camped now in YEARS.  I was into Girl Guides when I was younger, and went through all of the branches ... from Brownies to Guides to Pathfinders to Rangers.  Then, I was a Guide leader for four years and a Pathfinder leader for two years.  Add all that up, and that's an awful lot of camping!  I've done it all, from camping in a cabin to sleeping in a tent with no bottom to camping in a foot of snow.  Perhaps it's just because I did so much camping in my younger years, but I really have no desire to camp anymore.  This will probably change when Marko grows up since it'll be a fun family activity, but at the moment ... no thank you!

One of my favourite camping moments was one of the very first camps that I took my Guide group to when I first became a leader.  We came up with the idea of having a celebrations theme, so we celebrated all of the holidays throughout the weekend.  On Friday night, we started with New Year's Eve, had heart-shaped pancakes topped with strawberries and whipped cream for breakfast for Valentine's Day, an Easter egg hunt and the Olympics in the afternoon and Thanksgiving dinner that night.  On Sunday morning, before the girls went home, we had Christmas morning and gave them all a small gift to take home.  The girls all had a blast, and it was a really fun camp to plan and organize.

My worst camping moment is probably a week-long camp that I did up north in Prince George, the summer after Grade 7.  Although the camp itself was a lot of fun, it rained the entire week.  Not just rain, but torrential downpour at times.  We were all soggy and still had to do a lot of the outdoor activities.  I remember jumping into an absolutely frigid lake because I'd signed up to do syncronized swimming and all I wanted to do was jump right back out of the lake.  After shivering through what felt like an eternity (but was probably only 30 minutes or so), we had to shower in icy cold water so that we wouldn't get swimmer's itch from the lake water --- brrrrrr!  And all this while it continued raining!

What about you?  Are you a camper?  What's your best or worst camping moment?  Leave me a comment below!

1 comments:

  1. OMG YOU WERE A GIRL GUIDE/PATHFINDER! Me too :) I went up to Pathfinders and then stopped because there wasn't a Rangers group in my area after I finished Pathfinders! I had so many amazing camping experiences but my best one was probably being able to participate in CM'99 (Canadian Mosaic 99). There were girl guides, pathfinders and rangers from all over the world and it was held in Cochrane, Alberta. I did archery, went to Banff, went to the Calgary Exhibition(which I decided at that very moment I hated it and left haha) and met a ton of amazing people. It was probably one of my best experiences of my life and it saddens me that as I get older the details are becoming more fuzzy!

    That holiday weekend is amazing, I wish you had of been my girl guide leader :) SOOO awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs