3/31/14

Top Ten Gateway Books


It's Tuesday and time for another Top Ten Tuesday, hosted by the wonderful people over at The Broke and the Bookish.  This week's topic is top ten gateway books.  I'm going to break this down by genre (or my approximations of genre) and highlight the books that got me into particular genres.

Paranormal


Of course, the obvious answer in this category is Twilight.  I will give credit to Twilight and say that this series got me into YA in general, but credit goes to Daughter of Smoke & Bone and City of Bones for showing me that realistic worlds with a touch of magic and the paranormal are worlds worth my time and attention.

Fantasy


I consider myself to be a very tentative fantasy reader.  Although I ADORE the Harry Potter series, I often find fantasy to be too confusing in its world-building.  BUT, I tentatively dipped my toes into the fantasy world last year and fell head over heels with The Girl of Fire & Thorns and this has renewed my enthusiasm for fantastically unique reads!

New Adult


In all honesty, I'm having a bit of trouble grasping the whole "new adult" concept which, sometimes, seems like it's synonymous for "super sexy teen read."  Perhaps it's just that I've picked the wrong books and/or haven't read enough of the genre just yet.  But with that being said, Colleen Hoover's Hopeless and Lauren Graham's Someday, Someday, Maybe are two of the BEST BOOKS that I read last year, and ones that I highly recommend.

Contemporary


John Green and Sarah Dessen are, in my opinion, the King and Queen of contemporary YA.  I've been reading contemporary books as long as I can remember (hello, Sweet Valley High!), but these two definitely represent the best of the BEST.

Dystopian


I read The Hunger Games trilogy long before I started blogging, but Divergent was the first post-blogging book that really started my love for the dystopian world.  After Divergent, I read a LOT of dystopian books in quick succession.

Have you read any of these books?  Let me know in the comments below!  Thanks for stopping by my post =)

7 comments:

  1. What a great list. :) Some of these I'm going to have to pick up and read. I haven't read any of your contemporary picks.

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so wanted to read Lauren Graham's book! It's still not available where I am, can you believe it? And I never got around to getting a Kindle. Thanks for reminding me of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really want to read Lauren Graham's book at some point - I love her as an actress, so it will be interesting to see how I think about her as a writer. I started reading contemporary too with Sweet Valley High (in Finnish without knowing what contemporary even means). I have The Truth About Forever on my list as well and The Fault in Our Stars probably would have made it there as well right on the 11th place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a good list - a bunch of contemporary greats! I'm a tentative fantasy reader as well because sometimes the world building just gets crazy!

    Jessica@The Bathtub Reader

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally agree that John and Sarah are the King and Queen of Contemporary YA!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great list! I never really thought of Someday, Someday, Maybe as New Adult, but it could work! Hunger Games really made me want more dystopian

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fab list! John Green is definitely my King of Contemp, I love his books. Harry Potter made my list this week too (of course!) as did The Hunger Games. I wouldn't be such a huge dystopian fan if it wasn't for THG!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs