4/8/14

The Girl You Left Behind - Jojo Moyes

Last year, I read and fell head over heels in love with Me Before You.  The story was heart-wrenching and beautifully written, which was mainly due to Jojo Moyes' incredible storytelling skills but also due to my deeply personal connection to the story.  I knew that I had to try another of Jojo's books, so when I saw that The Girl You Left Behind was available on audio at the library, I jumped right in.

Jojo Moyes has now secured a spot on my list of favourite authors of all time.  Seriously, this woman can do no wrong.  From the opening sentences of the book, I was drawn into an absolutely captivating story.  Told in alternating viewpoints between Sophie in WWI German-occupied France and Liv in present day London, England, the story is a whirlwind adventure of love, life, strength, friendship and sacrifice.  My experience with the story might have been a touch more special, since I also got to benefit from alternating narrators: Sophie was narrated by a woman with a beautiful French accent, and Liv by another narrator with a perfect English accent. 

Honestly, I don't want to spoil the storyline for you, so I won't say much more.  I would listen on my drive to and from work and, if I arrived a bit early, I'd sit in my car and listen for a little bit longer.  At work, I volunteered to take on a really grubby task of sorting through archived storage boxes, mainly since I could pop in headphones and listen to some more of this story.  It's heartwarming, rich in complexity and is pretty much literary perfection.  I will be checking out more of Jojo's work FOR SURE!

1 comments:

  1. Yay! Another win for Jojo. I was late to the Me Before You game but I'm so glad I read the book + I've already preordered the summer book coming out and won another in a giveaway which I need to get to! I'm ready to be blown away again. (I might actually have this one... but for some reason, I think it's not? This is the problem with covers that sort of look alike + the sad state of my brain!)

    Hope you are doing well, dear!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs