5/7/14

We Were Liars - E. Lockhart

I've been procrastinating about writing my review for this book for over a month.  Honestly, I'm still not sure what I'm going to say -- so here goes nothing.

I read E. Lockhart's Ruby Oliver series last year and LOVED them.  We Were Liars is NOTHING like those books.  In fact, I honestly wouldn't even know they were written by the same author except, well, they are.

I was intrigued about this book after Jaime @ The Perpetual Page-Turner gushed about her love for the story.  Then, when my review request was approved, I immediately dove in, excited for a five-star read.  I was immediately intrigued by the letter from the publisher, which basically asks all ARC readers to not spoil the story for others and not say much about what the book is about.

I won't spoil anything and I won't say anything about the storyline of the book.  Let me just say that this is a weird little book with a storyline that was really not what I was expecting.  Perhaps I was expecting a storyline that was a little more Ruby Oliver-esque, and that's why I was a bit disappointed.  Or perhaps I expected to be blown away, and I just wasn't.

I will leave on this note: this is a book that most readers will probably love or hate and there probably won't be too many people who are left sitting on the fence, as I am.  A month later, I'm still thinking that I liked it -- I think I liked it.  But it was weird ... just a weird, odd little book. 

Note: I received an e-galley of this book from Netgalley.  The fact that I received this book for review did not influence my opinion of this book in any way.

2 comments:

  1. I understand how you feel! Was it more of a realistic fiction? I’ve recently read The Truth About Alice and was also confused at how the book was written. I felt like the book was cutoff, but it appears to be a standalone...*sigh

    www.lite-rate-ture.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would definitely fall under the realistic fiction umbrella. It wasn't that the storyline was confusing, but more along the lines of me just not relating to the characters or really enjoying the plot. Just a weird little book.

      I couldn't imagine reading a book and having the storyline cut off before it really ends! That would definitely be annoying =(

      Delete

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs