6/20/14

A Look Back at Spring ...

Seriously ... anyone know where the first half of 2014 went?  I feel like the past five months have been a blur of work, and commuting and not nearly enough family time for my liking!  I've been struggling a lot with the fact that I've opted to work such a distance from home, mainly because we found an incredible daycare 45 minutes from home, so I looked for work in the same area.  We leave before 8 a.m. and are home around 6-6:15, depending on traffic.  With Marko being in bed by 8:30, this gives us barely two hours of family time!  At least the weather has been sunny and warm, so we're able to go for a nice walk and have some play time at the park before dinner, which has been really nice.

Seasonal Highs

I've shared quite a few discussion posts in the past few months, which are absolutely my favourite kind of posts to write: on planning what I read, on bookish guilt, on growing up and reading tastes and on change.  I shared two birthday book hauls (here and here) as well as a backwards book haul, about what I'm NOT reading.

Spring also marked the return of Marko Monday!  I'm going to share one of these posts on alternate months, when I'm not doing the challenge wrap-up post.  So, hopefully, Marko will make a reappearance in July!

I read a fair bit in the spring, but my reviews on the blog have been mainly review books.  It's been kind of nice to just read other books for pleasure, rather than writing a review, but I'm going to try and share some series mini-reviews soon.

My BIGGEST spring accomplishment (quite literally!) was that I read A Game of Thrones!  I shared in this post that I was going to follow Debby @ Snuggly Oranges' reading schedule and it worked!  Of course, it helped that I was alternating between the audio and the print versions.  Also, I think Marko really enjoyed the deep male narrator with the British accent on our drive ... he sat so quietly and listened to the book!  I'm planning to jump into A Clash of Kings in July -- it's a little bit longer, but I think I can do it!

Seasonal Lows

The low point this season was definitely having my blog hacked and losing my design.  As I shared earlier this month, I tried to reach the designer who originally made Writer Grrl Reads look so great, but didn't have any luck.  So, I decided to take a HUGE leap of faith and I'm getting a whole new design!  I'm really excited to see what my blog will look like after its makeover -- so stay tuned for exciting changes on the horizon!

How about you?  Did you read anything incredible over the spring months?  Anything exciting coming up this summer?  Leave me a comment below!

2 comments:

  1. I still need to read Game of Thrones! I feel like I'm missing out. Awwww sorry about your blog being hacked. :/ At least you're getting it redesigned! I recently got mine redesigned :)

    My spring months were cold and busy. Winter weather stayed until mid-May and with AP exams and tons of state testing things were hectic. Now it's summer though and things are starting to calm down.

    I love your blog! New follower :)

    Rachel @A Perfection Called Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spring was a good season for me, I read and loved The Martian, the whole Daughter of Smoke and Bone series and I got to meet Peter S. Beagle, author of The Last Unicorn. I don't have a summer line up yet.
    I tagged you on my post for The Book Blogger Test. If you feel like it you can pass it on.
    Have a great summer!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs