6/19/14

Life of a Blogger - School


My good friend, Jessi, over at Novel Heartbeat has just started this awesome new feature as a way for her followers to get to know her better!  Check out the list of upcoming topics here.

Today's topic is school.  As I posted earlier, I've had a bit of a roundabout way of deciding what I want to be when I grow up and, during this process, I've done a LOT of schooling.  Here's a quick recap:

  • In highschool, I was in the Career Preparation Program for Journalism.  As part of this program, I had to complete 100 hours of work experience in the field in order to graduate.  I job shadowed with a reporter for much of this requirement, even attending a court sentencing for a local bank robber (which honestly sounds WAY more exciting than it actually was!)
  • I then went to university and started in the journalism program, with a major in Women's Studies, since I'd been told during my high school work experience that I should get a degree in something that I cared passionately about so that I could write about it.  At this point in time, my career aspirations were to move to New York City and work for Cosmopolitan magazine.
  • After two years in the journalism program, I realized that my heart wasn't hard enough for tough journalism, so I opted to finish my Women's Studies major, but changed my minor from Journalism to English.
  • After graduating with my B.A., I applied to the Post-Degree Program for Elementary Education.  I did one year of prerequisites for the program (including two super fun math courses), and then completed two-thirds of the program before I withdrew, deciding that education wasn't all I thought it would be.  
  • I took a year off from school and worked before starting my current program in Library & Information Technology.  I love the program that I'm taking, as it's all online so I can just take one course at a time while still working full-time.  Of course, it's taking me forever to get through the program this way, but I'm thoroughly enjoying all of the courses that I've taken so far (well, most of them -- the cataloguing is a little dry!) and looking forward to the day when I can work around books ALL DAY LONG.
What about you?  What has your schooling journey entailed?  Leave me a comment below!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs