6/8/14

On Change

So, a while back, I posted that my blog had been hacked (I think it was because of that Heartbleed thing -- I was super lazy about changing my password!) and my design was taken down.  I just logged in one day and found all these gray exclamation points in the background, instead of the beautiful design that has been Writer Grrl Reads for the past couple of years.  I tried to reach the designer who originally put my blog together, but it doesn't seem like she's in business anymore.

SO, I decided that it's time to invest in a brand new design!  At first, I was unsure because of the cost, and I've been having a bit of the blogging blahs lately, so I wasn't sure if I really wanted to invest some of my hard earned money into a site that, to be completely honest, I've just wanted to abandon.  But then I had a few epiphanies...

First, I realized that I haven't felt like blogging because my site looks so horrid.  It's really hard to find the motivation to share my thoughts, when I know that anyone visiting my site is just seeing this drab design template because I lack the abilities to do anything fancier on my own.  So I realized that a fresh new design will help me to be excited and proud of my little blog once again.

Second, I've decided to remove both my GFC follower plug-in and my blog roll.  I'm approaching my third blogiversary and sometimes it can be frustrating to see that the number of followers isn't growing, or that my blog isn't on "Blogs I Love" lists on some of my favourite blogger's sites.  Sometimes it feels like the blogging community is one big clique that I'm not cool enough or creative enough to be a part of, and then I have to take a step back and remind myself that that's not the point. I follow the blogs that I love on Bloglovin' and read the posts that I'm interested in.  I don't always have the time to comment as much as I'd like (especially because I do my blog reading on my iPad and commenting takes a lot of time and effort).  I'm not as active on social media as I'd like to be, just because real life takes up a lot of time.  But I have to make peace with that and realize that I just don't have enough hours in the day to get my blog out there and make it as big as I had hoped it would be when I first started.  And that's okay.  I admire the bloggers that do take the time and energy to build up their blogs and their followers.  I wish I could do the same with my little blog but at the same time I'm also happy with what I've built here in the three years that I've been a part of this community.

So, stay tuned for some fun changes on the horizon!  And thank you, from the very bottom of my heart, for following my blog and reading what I have shared with the world.  It means a lot to me, it really and truly does.

5 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear that you got hacked! I've been too lazy to change most of my passwords too, which is inexcusable. It's hard when your blog doesn't grow like you hoped it would, but I know that at least the followers I do have weren't bribed to follow me with a contest and joined of their own free will! That's something at least. ;)

    I need to get better at leaving comments, but sometimes just don't have anything to say. Trust me, there are a lot of readers out there who don't leave comments, but that doesn't mean they don't like us.

    Congrats on your three year blogoversary! And looking forward to seeing the fun changes you come up with!

    Terri @ Alexia's Books and Such...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll look forward to seeing your new design! *grin*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally get what you're saying! I wasn't hacked or anything horrible like that, but my blog look was pretty blah and I was a little embarrassed of the lack of visual appeal it had. I also wasn't posting very often so I too couldn't justify cost of hiring someone to redesign it for me, because I too am just a small blog. Basically, everything you wrote above, I also thought the same thing.

    So...I renamed my blog and cleaned it up on my own. I also removed the GFC plug-in. I didn't feel it was necessary to see it anymore and honestly, more than half the people on it never comment on my blog. Anyway, now that I'm more happy with the look and avenue my blog is going, I really think I'm going to invest in a re-design by someone who actually knows what they are doing! People spend hundreds of dollars on their hobbies so why can't I spend a bit on mine?! The trouble now is picking someone to do this for me. Honestly, it makes me a little insecure to let someone into the back doors of my blog. Will they judge me for lack of views, comments? So silly, but these are things I think of!

    ANYWAY! So glad you are taking the leap to pay someone to redesign for you. You are worth it and your blog is worth it. We should feel proud of our hobby! Can't wait to see what happens with it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear about what happened! I've read a few posts lately relating to content or designs being lost and I can imagine it must be horrible because of the sheer amount of effort we put in to our blogs! Looking forward to seeing what you decide to do!! R x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to be honest. I read most of my blogs in a Reader so I barely see design unless someone says HEY I HAVE A REDESIGN or I want to jump in and comment. I would think that most people are in this same boat too. Sorry to hear about the hacking situation though. I have actually never heard of that happening before + eee, I'm sure you handled it like the pro I know you are. (I would be clueless.)

    Hope all is well with you + you are reading something fantastic! (I see the Jojo book in your sidebar and I am so so excited to get my preorder when the book is out!)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs