9/18/14

Life of a Blogger - Languages


My good friend, Jessi, over at Novel Heartbeat runs this awesome feature as a way for her followers to get to know her better!  Check out the list of upcoming topics here.

Today's topic is languages!  I'm a native English speaker, but my parents put me into French Immersion in kindergarten.  So, from the age of 5, I heard only French while at school and therefore learned to speak, read and write in French as well.  Although I don't get the opportunity to practice my French very often, it comes back to me quite quickly because I learned it from such a young age.  I'm hopeful that I can put Marko into the same kindergarten program.

Then, in Grade 9, I started taking Spanish as an elective.  I took Spanish straight through 'til Grade 12 and then did one year in university as well.  I don't remember very much Spanish, unfortunately, since I haven't had much exposure to the language since university.

Finally, I'm learning Serbian!  My husband was born in Belgrade (former Yugoslavia) but immigrated to Canada when he was very young.  He spoke Serbian at home and wants Marko to grow up knowing English and Serbian.  We've been very fortunate to find a Serbian daycare for him, where the daycare lady speaks in Serbian and so her kids.  It's been fun for me to learn words along with him and I've picked up a lot in a very short period of time!

What about you?  What language(s) do you speak?  Leave me a comment below!

3 comments:

  1. I love languages :) I'm from Switzerland, and despite being such a small country, we have four official ones because of our diverse population: German, French, Italian, and Rumantsch (which is almost extinct). My mothertongue is Swiss German, but everything 'official' or written down is High German here and that's what I grew up learning in school. From grade 6 on, I had mandatory French, English was added in grade 7 (I finished my MA degree this summer). I used to hate English and love French, but that's shifted over the years and I now prefer English over everything else apart from Swiss German (I don't like normal German). I was also in immersion class, but for English :) I really liked having several subjects (maths, history, biology, geography) in English - it's done wonders for my vocabulary! I also know some Italian, I took it as an elective for 4 years. I've forgotten a lot of my French and Italian though because I rarely use them. I understand them pretty well when I read/hear them, but when I'm supposed to speak I forget words or how to form the past tense and stuff like that. I've been meaning to pick up some French or Italian novels and brush up on those skills a bit, because I love learning languages!

    I think it's great that you're learning Serbian! It must be very different from the other languages you've learned so far. I think growing up bilingual is a great chance for kids :) I wish my grandfather had taught my mother Rumantsch so she could have passed it on to me.

    There's something about the logic and structure of languages that just fascinates me! Great idea for a post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always jealous of people who got to study French as a second language from a very young age. I was born in Bali but grew up in England then Australia, so I was immersed in both Bahasa Indonesia and English. In primary school I had to take German for three years -- and then I moved to Australia and a new school, and their compulsory foreign language class was French, which I took all the way to University but have since forgotten.

    In high school I also had to study Japanese (which lasted for like three years)... and now, I'm trying to re-acquaint myself with German.

    So basically I have all this primary knowledge on several different languages... but the downside is that I'm not really an expert on any of them except English and Bahasa. I can get by on my French, but I wish I could speak it in my sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so cool! I would love for my children to grow up with culture :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs