2/24/15

Top Ten Book Related Problems


Top Ten Tuesday is, as always, hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.  I'm going to try to participate in Top Ten Tuesday a little more often this year, because I love making lists and hopping around to see other lists on the same topics!  Last week's topic was book-related problems, but I didn't get my post finished in time..  I still wanted to share what I'd written, so... here goes!

1. My TBR is ENORMOUS.  I did a really good job of culling my Goodreads to-read shelf last year, but I'm sure there's still a ton of books on there that I may never read.

2. My physical TBR is crazy big.  I've never felt shame about my book-buying, nor have I ever told myself to stop buying books, but over the past few years I've been reading mostly library books, which means that my physical shelves rarely get touched.  This year, I'm making a dent in my physical TBR and it feels amazing!

3. I have fallen victim to book hype more times that I care to admit.  In fact, it was only a few months ago, while writing my bookish resolutions for 2015, that I realized the fact that I rarely fall head over heels for a book that others have loved.  True, there are exceptions (ahem, Throne of Glass, ahem), but more often than not, I end up disappointed when I go into a book expecting to be blown away.

4. Reading what I want, when I want is the most enjoyable.  One of these days, I will finish that post on mood reading, but I have increasingly become a mood reader over the past year or so.  Reading on a schedule (darn review copies!) just doesn't work for my anymore, and makes reading (and blogging!) stressful.  Reading what I want, when I want has brought the enjoyment back into my reading life.

5. Cover changes irk me, but I'm too cheap to do anything about it.  I think that this is a problem that all book readers can relate too, and one that the publishers should listen to.  We all hate cover changes, especially when our series won't match.  So, maybe, just maybe, the publishers should just stop doing it?  What do you think?

6. Series burnout.  This happens to all of us.  We read the first book, or two, and then just never get around to finishing the series.  Sometimes it's because I was liking it, but not loving it; other times it's because by the time the next book comes out, I've forgotten what happened in the last book.  In all honesty, as much as I love a good series, I just get burned out on all these books that have stories that last through hundreds, if not thousands, of pages.

7. Giving up on a series.  This is something that I positively SUCK at.  Although I will happily DNF a book if it hasn't grabbed my attention by page 50, I have an entire shelf on Goodreads devoted to series that I need to finish.  Some of the books on this shelf are sequels to books that I read YEARS ago.  Some examples include: the rest of the Magyk series (I read the first book circa 2005) and the Bone series (I read the first four or five books in 2006, I think?)  Yet, I still think that one day, maybe, I'll go back and finish what I started.  Then again, see #6 above.

8. Spoilers.  I was chatting with Lauren @ Lose Time Reading about this a couple of weeks ago, and I realized that I am very careful about avoiding reviews for books that I haven't read yet; however, I was accidentally spoiled on something from Crown of Midnight, which rendered the ending a bit less of a surprise.  The spoiler was un-intentional, as I think it was just a character's name included in a Top Ten Tuesday post; however, it was enough to slightly taint my reading experience of a book (I still loved CoM, don't worry!)  From our discussion, I realized that it is a hazard of participating in this community.  As much as we try not to, spoilers can sometimes be un-intentional and can affect a person's reading experience.

9. Taking care of my books.  I take good care of my books and I don't dog ear the pages or write in the book.  I do carry my current read around in my purse, and the book often gets a tiny bit banged up, just from being toted around; however, this doesn't bother me.  What does bug me, is when I lend a book out and it gets returned completely trashed.  Fortunately, this only happened to me once and, needless to say, I never lent a book to this particular person ever again.

10. Reading fast.  I read fast, sometimes too fast.  As a mom, reading time is rare and precious, and I do like the fact that I can maximize those rare reading moments by racing through a book.  At the same time, I also feel that being a fast reader allows me to miss things because my eyes are racing over the text so quickly.  Just as a slow reader can't make herself read any faster, I've also found that it's impossible to make myself read slower.

How about you?  What are your book related problems?  If you posted on this topic last week, leave me a link and I'll stop by to visit.  Thanks for reading =)

POST SIGNATURE

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs