4/19/15

On Bookish Distractions

Reading is, and has always been, my favourite hobby.  Now that I'm a mom, and I work full-time, I have a lot less reading time than I used to.  Gone are the days of my childhood where I could spend hours a day with my nose buried in a book.  Now I'm a grown-up and I have other priorities, like cleaning the house, grocery shopping and paying bills.  Only after the chores are done for the day, and my son is tucked into bed for the night, do I have a blissful hour to myself to read before I head to bed.

Lately though, I've been distracted by other things.  Bookish things, but things that are taking away that precious reading time.  I'm sure that some of you share my bookish distractions, so I thought I'd confess them here:

  • BookTube.  I love the blogging community, but have lately discovered ANOTHER reading community on YouTube.  I love that this corner of the Internet is called BookTube, and have spent hours watching book hauls, unboxing, and TBR videos.  In fact, I started to feel like I was spending more time watching people talk about reading, than the time I actually spent reading!
  • Book Outlet.  Ever since my very first book order last month, I have spent a lot of time combing through the site, looking to see if there's any new books that I'd like to order.  I received a $5 coupon with my order, and I think it's burning a hole in my pocket!
  • Goodreads.  I don't spend a ton of time on Goodreads, but I do like popping on to see what my friends are reading, or have recently added to their TBRs.
  • Instagram.  I'm new to Instagram, and still haven't quite figured it all out, but I love checking out my feed each day, especially beautiful bookish pics!
Do you suffer from any of these bookish distractions?  I have enjoyed the time that I've spent on all of these sites, but I'm definitely going to be focussing on more reading time and less time online being distracted by bookishness!  How do you balance it all?  Last year, I shared about feeling out of the loop, and I feel that these bookish distractions are along the same vein.  I still haven't been on Twitter in who knows how long, and most of my online time is spent watching, rather than interacting.  Instagram is definitely allowing me to connect a bit more, which I'm loving, but I do feel a bit shy just jumping back into a community that I love, but have been absent from for so long.  How do you guys juggle it all?  Let me know in the comments below -- hopefully I'm not the only one who struggles with this =)


POST SIGNATURE

4 comments:

  1. Goodreads is where it's at for me because I enter all thr givesways. I've gotten some really good books through them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm mostly distracted by Twitter and interacting with other people. Although this site isn't as bookish, another big time sucker is Pinterest. I could go on there for hours!
    At the moment I'm unemployed and searching so I'm reading as much as I can and scheduling in advance, but since I don't have kids yet I use a lot of my spare time for reading after the house stuff is done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm addicted to Instagram. I love it, I love posting photos and looking at other photos. It's quite the community. I only pop on twitter once in a while. And I still love Facebook. I have no attention span for watching vlogs so that's actually a good thing, because I find those types of posts (videos), take up WAY more time than just reading a post does.

    It's super hard to balance it all! Sometimes I feel like I spend too much time reading other blogs when I could or should be writing my own posts. And by the time Sully goes to bed, I'm exhausted and don't want to do too much, especially draft a blog post. I have been making a conscious effort to read a lot more lately…before bed, during naps or when Jim is home with us on the weekends, I'll sneak in an extra hour of reading during the day. I love Goodreads too, and I think it actually encourages me to read more because I love updating my reading status :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you on this. I usually try to review all the books I read, but lately my to-review has been stacking up because I've been distracted. In my defense, I've been busy with school and things, but I know a portion of it is the bookish distractions you mentioned above. I use Goodreads somewhat, although my 'read' shelf is a bit confused, as I only file books I've read and reviewed there. For me, Pinterest is the equivalent of your Instagram. I got a Pinterest account recently while searching for blog graphics, and I became hooked. I've been pinning things daily.

    Claire @ Cover to Cover

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs