7/21/15

Ten Books that Celebrate Diversity


Top Ten Tuesday is, as always, hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.  Today's topic is books that celebrate diversity.  I love books that are different, that dare to be unique and don't just simply jump on the bandwagon of topics and themes that are trendy and popular at this given moment in time.  I'm always on the lookout for books that make me say "WOW!" because I've never read anything else like it before.  In no particular order, here goes...

1. Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Saenz
I've only just started reading this one, but I can already tell that it's unlike anything I've ever read before.  While it's a bit slow, the writing is beautiful and it features a friendship between two Mexican-American boys.  Stories of male friendships are hard to find, and when those boys are of a visible minority, the book is definitely unique.

2. Touching Spirit Bear by Ben Mikaelsen
Another book featuring a male narrator!  Cole has had a tough life, and has been in trouble with the law many times.  His anger takes him too far, and he beats a kid to the point where the other guy may be brain damaged for life.  Rather than facing jail time, he opts to try Circle Justice: a Native American system of justice that aims to provide healing and repentance by Cole going to live in the wilderness on a remote island.  It's a story unlike any other that I have ever encountered.

3. The Absolutely True Story of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie
This book was tough to read at times due to the topics discussed, but I read it in one sitting.

4. Wonder by R.J. Palacio
I've talked about this book on the blog many, many, many times but, in all honesty, the world would just be a much better place if everyone would read this book.  Like, right now.  It features the story of a truly remarkable narrator, physically deformed from birth, as he tries to adjust to life in public school.  The story definitely teaches us about judging people based on how they look.

5. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon
I didn't really understand autism until I read this book.  After I saw the world through Christopher's eyes, my life was never quite the same.

6. Luna by Julie Ann Peters
Like Wonder, I felt that this book changed the way I saw the world after I saw the world through a transgendered teen's eyes.

7. The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson
I loved that Elisa was an untypical female heroine, as she loved to eat and wasn't perfectly skinny.  I also loved the very subtle religious elements that were present in this story.

8. Eleven Minutes by Paulo Coelho
I absolutely adore Paulo Coelho's writing and this is one of my favourites.  The main character is a prostitute, who seeks to learn the difference between sex and love.

9. The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy
I've talked about this book many, many times, but it is one of my all-time favourites.  It takes place in India, and features a cross-caste love story unlike any other love story that I've ever read.

10. A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry
This book also takes place in India and I tried to find another book to include in this list in order to keep my selections diverse (ha ha!) but I couldn't not include this title.  It was a sweeping epic story and, as an added bonus, the author lives in Canada!

Thanks for stopping by to check out my list!  Please leave a link to your post, so that I can stop by, and let me know if you've read any of the books on my list.  Any others that you'd recommend?

POST SIGNATURE

5 comments:

  1. Wonder made my list too! I really need to read that book. I'm not sure why I haven't!

    Great list!
    Here's my TTT

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love, love, love The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, Wonder and The Girl of Fire and Thorns. In fact, they are all on my TTT, too. I haven't read Aristotle and Dante but I really want to, just haven't gotten there yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I loved The God of Small Things! Read years ago, but it came rushing back when I saw it on your list. Brilliant. Thanks for sharing. My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time (although it's been nearly 10 years, so maybe a reread is in order!) and Luna.

    I've been very intrigued by Wonder even though I don't read MG. I may give it a try one day, because it does sound so good and important.

    Here's my top ten!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aristotle and Dante is probably one of the most diverse books ever! I loved it so much and enjoyed it thoroughly. It made it onto my TTT as well. I forgot all about The Girl of Fire and Thorns and that's a shame because I loved that book! Great list!

    My Top Ten Tuesday

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs