2/20/16

Love-a-Thon - Introductory Post


I'm so so excited to be participating in the Love-a-Thon this year!  I always seem to hear about it once it's already going on and completely miss the sign-ups.  This year, I resolved to be more active in the blogging community, and what better way than to participate in a love filled event that's all about meeting new bloggers and getting reacquainted with old friends!

So, without further ado, here's my introductory post...
What’s your name?  Melissa
Where in the world are you blogging from?  I live just outside Vancouver, in British Columbia on the west coast of Canada.
How did you get into blogging in the first place?  I took a library course that was all about social media and the Internet.  As one of our assignments, we had to set up a blog.  After discovering other book blogs through another assignment in the same course, I just knew that I wanted to be a part of this online community.
How did you come up with your blog name?  As part of my Women's Studies degree, I took a course on popular culture.  We learned about the riot grrrl movement and I loved the growl of the "grrrl."  Girly, but edgy at the same time.  I've always considered myself both a writer and a reader, so Writer Grrl Reads was born.
What genre do you read and review the most on your blog?  Honestly, these days I don't review much at all, but lately it's been mostly contemporary.  I'm a pretty even split between contemporary and fantasy/sci-fi.
What other types of posts do you do on your blog, apart from reviews?  I share On My Nightstand posts, which is a weekly-ish update on what I've recently finished, what I'm currently reading and what is calling my name from the shelves.  On a monthly basis, I share Marko Mondays, which includes a picture book review and a monthly update on my little man.  I've recently started participating in Thursday Tracks, and I'm a sporadic participant in Top Ten Tuesdays.  Other than that, I try to post discussion posts and things that are non-bookish (although I'm still a bit shy on the non-bookish stuff!)
Best blogging experience so far?  Last year's Broke & Bookish Secret Santa, hands down.  Although I have a feeling that OTSP Secret Sister is going to be equally amazing!
Favorite thing about the blogging community? Honestly, the connections that I've made over the years!  Of particular note is the friendship with Lauren @ Lose Time Reading.  She was my Secret Santa three (?) years ago, and we've been friends ever since.
Name the 5 books you’re most excited for this 2016!  Throne of Glass #5, A Court of Mist and Fury, Stars Above and new Morgan Matson and Emery Lord.
Name the 5 books you want to read this 2016 that you didn’t get to in previous years!  I have 16 on this list, but if I had to pick only five, they would be Six of Crows (currently reading!), Clockwork Prince, Burn, The Light Between Oceans and Finnikin of the Rock.
What’s an underrated book or series that you think everyone should read?  The Pure trilogy by Julianna Baggott or Wonder by R.J. Palacio.
Which book boy or girl would be your book BFF?  The girls from Emery Lord's The Start of Me and You -- best friendship story EVER.
Which book boy or girl would be your book boyfriend/girlfriend?  I'm not really a book boyfriend kind of girl ... crazy, I know!
Who would you recruit for your apocalypse squad?  Celeana from Throne of Glass, Katniss from Hunger Games, Scarlet from the Lunar Chronicles, Daenarys from Game of Thrones and Pressia from Pure.
Apart from reading, what are your other hobbies or interests?  Yoga, drinking tea, chocolate (especially with peppermint) and spending time with my husband and my little boy.
Apart from book shopping, what else do you like shopping for?  I like trying new teas!  I wish that I could buy all the bookish goodness that I've seen on Society 6, but I have to wait until I have a house and space for all of the wonderful bookish things like pillows and prints.
At a party, the DJ suddenly changes the song – and it’s your song. What song would be playing?  Truly Madly Deeply by Savage Garden.  I've loved this song since I was 15!
Pick out either a book you want turned into a film/TV show, or a film/TV show you want turned into a book.  I barely ever watch TV or movies these days, so it's hard for me to pick something for this question!  I'm halfway through Dance Academy though, and I feel like it would be a good book too, but only if Sarah Dessen and Emory Lord co-write it.  With Morgan Matson and Katie Cotugno in the mix as well.  Omigosh, that would be the best author collaboration OF ALL TIME.

What would your dream library look like?  Like every other bookish girl's dream library?


Author you want to meet and sit down to tea with?  Oh gosh, so many!  If I had to pick just one, I think I'll go with Sarah J. Maas.

Thanks for stopping by my post, and I can't wait to spend some time this weekend visiting all of yours!

POST SIGNATURE

7 comments:

  1. Oh I love your blog name, so unique! Also hey fellow Canadian! I'm from the Toronto area myself. I also love the friendships that are made through blogging, it's so rewarding. It was nice meeting you :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I just cried a little, MELISSA! <3 I have to totally agree, our friendship means so much to me! Now we just need to meet IN PERSON someday! It's so awesome to think that something like an online Secret Santa can bring together people and help develop amazing frienships!

    Your secret santa story from this year warmed my freakin heart. Seriously, that's amazing that she did that for you. <3

    SAVAGE GARDEN! OMG... we truly are kindred spirits. I have all of there old music on my spotify and listen to it while I clean... probably more often than I would sometimes admit haha.

    Ahhhhh Belle... <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE PEPPERMINT CHOCOLATE TOO. It's just so tasty! I also love peppermint hot cocoa, because I don't really like coffee or tea, unless it's chai tea. I have been loving the Throne of Glass series by Sarah J. Maas, so I can understand why you'd want to meet her. She seems awesome! Nice to meet you! :D
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a bit shy on the non-bookish stuff too! But they can be so much fun to post. :) I absolutely love trying out new teas too. There's so many I haven't tasted yet. I love your blog name, especially after reading how you came up with it! It's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You ROCKED at bookish secret santa this year, Melissa! :) I don't know why I didn't start following your blog earlier, but you are now in my feedly account.

    Also, I love that your hobby is yoga - that's so Vancouver of you! (I lived in Langley for four years for uni and noticed how yoga-crazy the whole lower mainland seems to be).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonder is such a gorgeous book. I read it last year right before I had my daughter and it might have just been the pregnancy emotions, but it sure did make me cry quite a bit.

    I love the way that you came up with your blog name!

    It was nice to meet you...canʻt wait to check out the rest of your blog

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hiiiiiii friend! So glad that you've joined in this year! I definitely am excited for more Sarah J. Maas novels this year, and I would certainly say she'd make great company to chat with over tea. Definitely read Six of Crows and The Lumatere Chronicles! Both are really well-written ;) I, too, HOPE to get to The Infernal Devices at some point. But we'll have to see if that ACTUALLY happens! Thanks for joining the Love-a-Thon :D

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs