7/18/16

My Harry Potter Reading Story

One of my favourite bloggers EVER, Alexa @ Alexa Loves Books, shared the story of how she and her husband read and fell in love with the Harry Potter series, as part of a month long celebration of all things Harry Potter, hosted by Kristin @ Super Space Chick and Megan @ The Nerdy Girlie.  Since I am also PUMPED for the upcoming release of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (less than two weeks to go!), I thought it would be a great idea to share my experience with reading the Harry Potter series!

I was late to the Harry Potter game as well, and started reading the series after the fourth book was already out.  I was a Girl Guide leader at the time, and the girls were constantly talking about Hogwarts and Quidditch, so I just wanted to know what this series was all about.  I had only planned on reading the first book, just to get an idea of what the books entailed, but after the first book I was HOOKED.  I gobbled up all four in a month, and then joined the rest of the world to wait for the fifth book.

When the fifth book was released, I was working at a summer camp in upstate New York.  I'd re-read the first four books before I left for camp, and then patiently waited for one of the girls to finish reading her copy so that I could borrow it.  

When the sixth book came out, I had just moved to Vancouver with my then-boyfriend, now-husband, but returned to Victoria for the weekend so that I could work at the launch party with my former co-workers.  Since I wasn't officially employed by the bookstore anymore, I received a copy of the book as a thank you for working that evening.  It was an amazing experience to see so many people in costume and the line-up wrapped halfway around the mall!  The energy was incredible and I loved being a part of it all!

I attended the midnight release for the seventh book as well, but this time as a customer at my local Chapters.  I went with my husband (who had just started reading the series and wasn't quite into it just yet) and another couple (who were each buying a copy because there was NO WAY that they could share!)  Again, it was so amazing to be part of such happy energy over a book, and I loved being part of the crowd.  It was well after 1 a.m. by the time we got our book and went home, but I stayed up for another hour reading, and then read the rest of the book the next day.

I've already pre-ordered my copy of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, but won't be going to the midnight launch.  I'll dash into the bookstore on Sunday to pick up my copy for sure, but I just don't think I can stay awake long enough to be part of the midnight launch for this one!  The launches of books six and seven will forever remain special memories in my heart, and I sincerely hope that there's another series that will touch Marko's life in the same way that the Harry Potter series has touched mine.

Here's a picture of me and my co-workers dressed up at the launch of Harry Potter & the Half-Blood Prince:

POST SIGNATURE

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs