8/31/17

Reading Round-up - August

Last month, I shared my reading through mini-reviews, and I'm going to do the same this month.  We were on holidays for two weeks and I got a lot of reading done during that time.  Without further ado, here goes!

 

Opal, Origin and Opposition by Jennifer L. Armentrout
This series was on my list of ten to finish this year, and I can honestly say that I'm glad it's over.  WAY too much eye rolling for my taste.  If I hadn't already bought all of the books, I wouldn't have continued reading the series, but now that I've finished it I've already put the books in a donation box.

The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue by Mackenzi Lee
I haven't fallen victim to bookish hype in a long, long time, but I heard that the audiobook was amazing on this one, and I had unused Audible credits and a mindless project at work so I decided to give it a shot.  It was good, and definitely unlike anything else that I've read, but I wouldn't say it was amazing.  Tom Riddle from the Harry Potter movies narrates the audiobook, and his voice made it worthwhile.


The Names They Gave Us by Emery Lord
I decided on a whim to participate in August's round of Tome Topple, but then wasn't in a fantasy mood, so I decided to have my husband choose a book off my shelves and he picked this one for me.  Emery Lord never fails to disappoint, and this book was just as good as all of her previous books.

Behind Her Eyes by Sarah Pinborough
September's book club book, and it was a quick easy read.  I'm not sure if it was a thrilling thriller, or if I couldn't put it down simply because I was racing against my dying ereader battery.


The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid
I'd heard mixed reviews about this one, some loved it but Hannah @ So Obsessed With posted that she was disappointed with TJR's latest book.  I went into this book with low expectations and was blown away.  Evelyn is an incredibly unlikable character, but I found myself absolutely captivated by her story.  It kind of reminded me of Marissa Meyer's Fairest in a way, because you don't want to feel sympathy for this unlikeable character, but it's so interesting and different to read from the perspective of someone so awful.


This Savage Song by Victoria Schwab
I read and absolutely LOVED the Darker Shades of Magic trilogy earlier this year, and that series is easily one of my favourite series of all time.  I've seen around the blogosphere that people either love her YA books or her adult books, but it's rare to see people that love both.  There was something about the premise to this duology that kept calling my name, so I decided to give it a shot.  And I LOVED IT.  I'm already itching to pick up the second book and I will be obsessively stalking my library until it arrives.

A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman
This is one of the 17 books that I planned to read in 2017 and I'm SO GLAD that I finally read this.  Such a beautiful story, and I absolutely adored Ove's character (his idiosyncrasies reminded me a little of my own husband .... and I can totally see him turning into a funny old man like Ove!)

This Darkness Mine by Mindy McGinnis
I just finished this one last night, and I'm still trying to figure out what the heck I just read.  My full review will be forthcoming closer to the publication date.

POST SIGNATURE

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs